Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Which NLHE book?

Anyone want to give me any advice on which book to buy - Im going away for a few days and would like a good NLHE book to read.
I only play on the internet at 0.05/$1 or $1/$2 NLHE 6 max. and I have only ever read DB's super system
Any advice welcome...
Thanks
Old 08-26-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Which NLHE book?

Championship No Limt & Pot Limit Hold'em, Pot Limit & No Limit Poker, Harrington on Hold'em Volume I, and Improve Your Poker(small big bet section) are what I recommend for nl cash games. I haven't got around to the nl section in Play Poker Like the Pros. Does anyone know if that is any good?
Old 08-26-2005, 12:44 PM

It's definitely not as good as Harrington's books. It's too brief for one thing.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:53 PM

I've read it a few times and the first it seemed like it was thin and that Phil was really holding back. Seemed like he just talked about different styles of play and what you need to play those styles. Upon rereading, it seemed better, but it's still too much "sometimes I'll do this, sometimes I'll do that," etc. While Phil does suggest you get started on figuring out people's hole cards the same way he did (always practicing, making a game of it and seeing how you do to get better), he doesn't give away a lot of inside information that's probably in his head. I'm actually so wishy washy about the section that I'm going to check it out again now.

...break for perusal...

OK, interspersed between stories he uses to illustrate his points (but often end up just telling stories, entertaining more than instructive) there are a few very useful strategy points that I don't think I've seen elsewhere (but many people know), particularly discussion about the necessity of being able to fold the best hand (when you don't know it is) to be a winner in the long run.

Otherwise, it's very, very weak and limited too. He says far too many things like "I wait for the chips to come to me" and "when I feel they're weak, I pounce" without explaining how he comes to the conclusions.

It's light reading and very limited with a very small amount of unique material. It does present the information from other sources in a slightly different way which I think can be useful.

Read it at a book store in 10-15 minutes.