Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Bet into PFRer paired flop, he raised

Crypto 2/4. Villain is TAGgish and got LAGgy after raising preflop with AJs on a Qxx flop, leading and 3 betting then leading the turn unimproved, he checked the river. Likes to steal blinds.

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Bet into PFRer paired flop, he raised

I think I'd release it to the flop raise or check-fold the turn. Once I just call the flop raise, I'm in a bad spot since I no longer have the illusion of an 8 or an overpair.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:28 PM

I like the flop, use MP2's auto-raise tendency to protect your hand against the button.

I've got mixed emotions about the turn/river. I think I would decide at the turn to either fold or goto a showdown (against a non 4 or K river).
Old 08-23-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the flop, use MP2's auto-raise tendency to protect your hand against the button.

I've got mixed emotions about the turn/river. I think I would decide at the turn to either fold or goto a showdown (against a non 4 or K river).

[/ QUOTE ]

He will play the turn like this with AJ/AQ so I believe the turn is a call. On the river not only did it help AQ, he also gave up on the river in the last hand although he was OOP, which leads me to believe he'd take a free showdown with AJ here.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He will play the turn like this with AJ/AQ so I believe the turn is a call. On the river not only did it help AQ, he also gave up on the river in the last hand although he was OOP, which leads me to believe he'd take a free showdown with AJ here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the turn is a call, why not bet/fold and put him to the test? An added bonus is you don't allow him to get a free card. I like the flop play.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:04 AM

I like this idea, as you said it doesn't allow a free card, and we also put a meddling pocket pair to a tough decision. We also don't have to worry much about getting knocked off of the best hand since I don't think he's that much of a LAG.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:12 AM

I give up on the flop.

Its a small pot. You have 2 opponents. Sure the flop looks like it missed them, but you have 2 outs and your opponents combined have at worst 12 outs with over cards, if you're not already beaten with a higher pocket pair.