Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Don\'t trust Empire Poker\'s security system

I received a snail mail message from them offering certain bonuses. It stated that, if I had forgotten my password, "an email will be sent to your email address lje007@aol.com."

Since that address is not mine, I sent them an email stating that someone had access to my account. That email stated that I am a columnist for both twoplustwo.com's Internet Magazine and Card Player Magazine. I told them I expected a detailed explanation of the situation.

Instead of an explanation I received a reply which began, "A search of our records based on your e-mail address has not generated a match to an active account with us."

Of course not. Someone has changed the email address associated with my account.

If a stranger can get into my account, and Empire ignores a letter complaining about it, nobody should trust their security system.

Fortunately, I had little or no money in that account (and there is none now), but you may have considerable money in your account. If someone can get into my account, your account is not safe.

Regards,

Al
Old 08-23-2005, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Don\'t trust Empire Poker\'s security system

What I don't understand is...

When the email reached YOU with YOUR emailaddress, how can they have a different one in their database and send this mail to this one?

Also, did you reply to the message or did you make sure that you reply to an official empire support address?
Old 08-23-2005, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When the email reached YOU with YOUR emailaddress, how can they have a different one in their database and send this mail to this one?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, since the original post mentioned snail mail...

Of course, the first thing I'd do in this situation is add lje007@aol.com to my AIM buddy list and stalk the bastard. But that's just me.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, since the original post mentioned snail mail...

[/ QUOTE ]
Overlooked that, now it makes more sense...
Old 08-23-2005, 05:45 PM

Log in and change your password. As well as change the password at all other sites you use which have the same password.

I'd also check your 'profile' at Empire. Does that same address show up?
Old 08-23-2005, 07:11 PM

I think you should follow up with them with more e-mails or phone-calls until they realize what has happened and offer an answer that makes sense.

This is the method that we all have become used to when having to deal with party/skins cust-support.

Generic 'form' e-mails that don't address the issue are common-place for them.

Sorry to hear of what happened.

Wonder if you need to be concerned about your other accounts (including your neteller account).
Watch all of your accounts like a hawk and make sure you use passwords that are difficult to steal.

Just curious if your previous password on empire was one that would be normally difficult to steal (like '4Kr$g%i;C' as opposed to just a regular word like DrAl1 or schoon or a kid's name or something they might have been able to guess)
Old 08-23-2005, 07:24 PM

The same thing happend to me. I closed my account about a year ago but I still receive info in the mail from them for reloads, bonuses, etc and the e-mail address listed isn't mine. Out of curiosity I tried to connect to their website but it said my account was still frozen, odd indeed...
Old 08-24-2005, 02:33 AM

This happened to my friend. His account was never hacked and no one had ever accessed his account, and none of his money was touched. I think somehow empire just [censored] it up all on their own. And obviously they have shitty customer service so trying to get it sorted out isnt really going to do anything.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:19 AM

Something similar happened to me just 2 days ago, that was with Multipoker. Scary.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:42 AM

I never had an experience of bad security system.