Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 06:52 PM

Default 9To in BB

How bad is this hand? I think the preflop call is fine, the flop call is debateable, and the river call is bad. What are your thoughts? I have only been at the table for a couple orbits so I have no great reads but no one sticks out as being a complete fish yet..

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB
Old 08-23-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Re: 9To in BB

i think the preflop call is borderline, but i don't think i usually make it...

on the flop i kind of like a c/r, since you will usually have between 7-10 outs and you might be able to run MP2 off of unpaired overs...

on the river i dont like your call of the raise as i don't think you will be good 1/10 of the time...his hand looks an awful lot like 88 here...
Old 08-23-2005, 07:02 PM

Fold preflop. You're not getting much overlay and your hand doesn't play very well short-handed.

Fold the flop. You have 3 outs to the nuts, plus .5 more for the 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], plus maybe .5 for your 1-card 6th nut backdoor flush draw. You're only getting 7.5:1 (maybe 8.5:1) on your call.

The turn raise is good, as villain could well just have overcards, and we'd like for him to fold those.

I don't really see what we're beating on the river unless it's a desperation bluff. I guess you have to call down getting 11:1, but i wouldn't expect to win.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:06 PM

you have to consider that a lot of the time his pair outs are clean, although they should be somewhat discounted in case we pair on the turn and an over comes on the river...
Old 08-23-2005, 07:22 PM

Doesn't a flop c/r seem iffy because whenever he has a hand here i get 3-bet and end up having to call on my gutshot. But if I just call I get to fold when I miss and c/r if i hit top pair or the straight. Tell me if this logic seems wrong.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:25 PM

no, your point is defnitely valid, and i think a lot of it has to do with a read on the PFR...if he is the kind of player that is gonna go to the river with AK/AQ/AJ then i think check/call is better, but if he will let go of those unpaired overs on the turn if he misses then i think a c/r and bet the turn will pick up this pot a lot of the time...
Old 08-23-2005, 07:34 PM

This is a good board to donk the turn. Since you hit a c/r is reasonable, but if the turn brought a brick I would strongly consider leading out.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you have to consider that a lot of the time his pair outs are clean, although they should be somewhat discounted in case we pair on the turn and an over comes on the river...

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. This pushes us towards a call, and i also like your idea for a flop check/raise, especially since it faces MP1 with 2 cold). I'm a little worried about MP1, since heremains to act behind us.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:09 PM

meh, someone that checked the flop is very unlikely to call two cold on this board, unless they have a monster or flush draw, and if they have a flush draw or monster then there isn't anything we can do about it...what we can do is try and protect our outs and possibly win the pot unimproved by foldin g out overs...also, getting the third player out will improve the chances that we win by spiking a lone pair...