Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 12:59 AM

Default blind defense hand

5/10 6max
effective stacks are around 1500

Folded around to the button who makes it 40 to go I call in the BB with AT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. How often should I be reraising here?

Flop comes AQ9 all spades, I check and call 60. Turn is another A, I lead for 125 planning to fold to a raise. Standard line?
Old 08-28-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Re: blind defense hand

[ QUOTE ]
5/10 6max
effective stacks are around 1500

Folded around to the button who makes it 40 to go I call in the BB with AT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. How often should I be reraising here?

Flop comes AQ9 all spades, I check and call 60. Turn is another A, I lead for 125 planning to fold to a raise. Standard line?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like reraising with monster hands and with hands with no high card strength whatsoever, like 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Fair hands like A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] are not really repopping hands IMO.

Some players view turn donk bets (your lead out on the turn after check/calling the flop) as invitations to raise big and blast the other player out of the hand. If he's one of those superaggro guys, you could continue to check/call. Otherwise, how he responds to your bet should tell you what you need to know.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:46 PM

If I check call the turn what is my plan for the river? Check call a blank, blocking bet?
Old 08-28-2005, 07:29 PM

I do like the line, I'm not sure I would dump to turn raise though. First, it's very likely you're good. Second, if not, you have outs against everythin but AQ. It's a blind steal, so I assume he's not a nit, you're giving action to someone who has a wide range of hands. Therefore AK, AQ, AJ (the hands you fear) are just a small %.
Edit: Plus, as creed said, (Just read his post...) alot of super aggro will view this as either a blocker with a marginal hand or draw (like Ks) and give more weighting towards raising with air or a worse hand... Thats why I dont think it's a routine fold at all.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I check call the turn what is my plan for the river? Check call a blank, blocking bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate blocking bets against super aggro guys, they never work. If he's so aggro you need to check/call the turn, you need to check/call the river too.