Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 06:27 PM

Default KQo with a player all in. What\'s my move?

Final table of €50 live MTT with 8 players left of the starting 40. I'm about 4th in chips. 2 stacks are almost goosed. The payouts are the same for 8th to 6th and then increase slightly with a nice jump from 2nd to 1st.

The button and BB are the chip leaders but they are playing very weak tight. The SB has 11K and is a very good player.. UTG has 1BB left and duly puts it in. Blinds are 1000/2000 and its folded to me in the CO with KQo. I have 23K.

What's my play?
Old 08-21-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: KQo with a player all in. What\'s my move?

I'm not sure if I completely follow the action -

UTG goes all-in with a forced moved. It's folded to you with KQ and 23k, there are three left to act including two stacks that cover you. If that is correct, then I think you should raise it up to 6 or 7k. If you get re-raised by the two bigger stacks, then fold, call an all-in from the guy at 11k. If the guy at 11k calls and then pushes on the flop, call him no matter what hits because he is probably pushing no matter what hits.
Old 08-21-2005, 06:56 PM

Allin on an isolation play. The chance anyone left to act has AA-QQ or AK-AQ is small. Even with no ante, if you drive everyone out, you get 5-2 pot odds with a strong hand.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:03 PM

I don't think an all in is justifiable at this point.

What about limping?
Old 08-22-2005, 01:14 PM

$4K is probably a big enough bet to get rid of the blinds, but you could be helping out UTG as much as you are helping yourself.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$4K is probably a big enough bet to get rid of the blinds, but you could be helping out UTG as much as you are helping yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have like 11xBB and have most people covered. Why not push. I would open push with KQo in this situation. The BB could call a miniraise with all sorts of hands. I don't see the advantage of miniraising over pushing.

If you help UTG and help yourself too, then 2 people are happy. I like to make people happy when playing poker.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think an all in is justifiable at this point.

What about limping?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not a good idea, imo. This may be viewed as weakness by the big stacks in the blinds who could push with a much wider range of hands, hoping to steal your dead money and isolate the all-in player.

I say push.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if I completely follow the action -

UTG goes all-in with a forced moved. It's folded to you with KQ and 23k, there are three left to act including two stacks that cover you. If that is correct, then I think you should raise it up to 6 or 7k. If you get re-raised by the two bigger stacks, then fold, call an all-in from the guy at 11k. If the guy at 11k calls and then pushes on the flop, call him no matter what hits because he is probably pushing no matter what hits.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-22-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If that is correct, then I think you should raise it up to 6 or 7k. If you get re-raised by the two bigger stacks, then fold,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you raise 1/3 of your stack and are reraised, you are getting almost 3-1 on your money and there is a good chance you are about even with the reraiser. You can't play scared of busting out.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:31 PM

PULL THE TRIGGER!!!

As Betgo says, you can't fold if reraised, so you might as well shut down the action right now. No need to let the BB call on the cheap.

CSC