Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 09:08 PM

Default TPGK versus raise allin

$9 rebuy supersatellite on Paradise. 14 players remaining, 4 seats, blinds 200/400/25. Villain and hero have average stacks, hero T7000, villain T6000. Villain open raises in CO to 1100. Hero call in BB with QJs.

Flop comes JT7r. Check, check. Turn is a 4, completing the rainbow. Hero bets 1100, villain raises allin another 4000. What should hero do?
Old 08-23-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Re: TPGK versus raise allin

I think this is a fold
Old 08-23-2005, 09:12 PM

this looks an awful lot like a fold.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$9 rebuy supersatellite on Paradise. 14 players remaining, 4 seats, blinds 200/400/25. Villain and hero have average stacks, hero T7000, villain T6000. Villain open raises in CO to 1100. Hero call in BB with QJs.

Flop comes JT7r. Check, check. Turn is a 4, completing the rainbow. Hero bets 1100, villain raises allin another 4000. What should hero do?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's real tough to lay down here, but I think you have to do it. Incidently, why didn't you bet the flop? Not that checking is bad per se, just wondering if maybe that's a better move to see where you stand. I think your ~40% bet on the turn also looks weak, and villian may be pushing thinking you're stabbing and/or weak.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:23 PM

Fold PF, Fold the turn.

edit: If you really want to play this hand, re-raise all in PF.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-23-2005, 09:39 PM

It looks like hes putting you on a bluff, and is reraising on a bluff himself. I suck at satellites, so I don't know how that plays in here, but in a regular tournament I think this is a call.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like hes putting you on a bluff, and is reraising on a bluff himself. I suck at satellites, so I don't know how that plays in here, but in a regular tournament I think this is a call.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my read. I called. Villain showed AKo. The river was an ace (bad beat story). I was suprised how many people said fold. The whole betting pattern indicated to me that villain was bluffing.

Villain's push was not that bad a play. It was a semibluff in that he had a 20% chance against a pair with 10 outs.

I think I had to atleast call the late position raise from the BB with QJs getting 2.5-1 pot odds. I didn't think of pushing preflop, but that is not a bad play. I had the feeling that villain had a real hand though.

I checked the flop playing for a checkraise. Villain's check on the flop was probably good as he wanted to see a free card with 10 outs. He could have made a big bet or push on a semibluff though.

I made the small bet on the flop because I figured villain has either missed the flop or was trapping, since he didn't bet it. I didn't think the 4 helped him. When he raised allin, I was pretty sure he had missed the flop and was bluffing.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:11 PM

Yeah, I sort of wish I wrote what I had him on-- AQ or AK, so I'd look better, lol. I dont see what hes checking behind on the flop that is beating you, except maybe, and only maybe, a flopped set.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:16 PM

I often see a shortstacked JJ played this way. That is what I was thinking.