Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 07:37 PM

Default need help I am repeting my mistakes over and over(long)

I dont get it, feel like puking. I can maintain dicipline when playing a cash game really well. I recognize my tilts real fast now, and it`s cut to minimum. But when I get into a tourney, which I feel I have reasonabel understanding of, and I dont play stereotype, but read opponents and make moves, change gear etc
When I get midway trough a tourney I am often among the top 20 stackwize, and from thereonwards I loose it completely and bust in no time. Suddenly I go against my reads, I call when I shouldnt my plays are out of position and basically f#####- Doesnt matter what buy in or anything. Last 15 tourneys I have been in top 20 after 1-2 hrs, out of starting fields from 500+.
Anyone with experience?
Old 08-21-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: need help I am repeting my mistakes over and over(long)

I read somewhere that the person who leads the World Series of Poker after the first day never goes on to win. Why? Because they are the ones taking far too many risks to maintain their stack. My suggestion is obvious. Slow down. Don't think you have to call all all-in raises from shortstacks just because you can cover etc. But you know this stuff too probably, but just aren't doing it.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:41 AM

Default Re: need help I am repeting my mistakes over and over(long)

Maybe its just fatigue, you get tired a couple of hours in and you don’t play with the consistency and discipline as you did at the start of the tourney.

However, you seem to believe this is a psychology issue. It sounds like a problem some stock traders have. The problem is “fear of success”. The basic premise is that there is some underlying deep rooted fear or reason that an individual believes he should not be successful (or should not achieve some degree of success) and then the individual subconsciously does things that sabotage his own success. The way to fix it is to address the deep rooted fear or reason.

You could try turning off the lobby and chat (anything that tells you where you currently stand in the tourney) and just play your game. Unfortunately if you’ve got that fear of success thing going on, tricking yourself probably wouldn't work, your subconscious would find a way to estimate how close you are to succeeding or it might start sabotaging early just to make sure.

I’m new to poker and I’m not a psychologist, so take it for what it’s worth.