Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 04:04 PM

Default Horribly played no limit hand

Ok so I sit down in a live no limit game for the 1st time in over 3 years. I'd been exclusively a limit player both online and live for that period and doing well. I used to play no limit up in Northern CA and did pretty well.

5-10 blind table. I'd been running over the table with very LAGgy play and now opponents are beginning to check their big hands to me on multiple streets hoping I'll bet.

I realize I misplayed this horribly preflop and on the flop but I'm MOSTLY CONCERNED WITH MY TURN DECISION as the preflop and flop play are so horrible and amateurish it may never happen again.

3 loose(preflop) limpers I get Red Queens and make it an awful $40 in the CO. Button is loose preflop but solid and calls. 5 way action before the flop. SB calls and we have 6 way action.

2 of the players have around 500. I have a little over 800. Guy to my right and left have me covered by a little.

Flop: KdQcJd

Everyone checks to me in CO - I make horrible bet of $120. Guy to my left calls $120 and everyone folds.

Turn: Ad (Board is Kd Qc Jd Ad)

I have a about $630 or so left.

What is my play here? I'm VERY interested in hearing opinions because even though I think my poker mind is ok I can't figure out the right play here. And yes I realize had I played the earlier streets right it would have been an easier decision on the turn but there was nothing I could do about it after the fact.

Assume that if I check he will bet $200 (which he did.) My read on him was that it was most likely a flush with a remote chance (cause of my laggy play and a couple very loose players) that it was a flopped broadway. My image was LAG but not usually out of line on bigger pots.

Results below but I am very interested in hearing what to do here.

Obviously I have a set and a royal flush draw against someone who has me beat most of the time with a made hand.

Turn: I check. He bets $200. I have about $630 left and think for a moment. I'm pretty sure he either has a straight or a flush. I checkraise all in. He thinks for a minute and calls. River blanks off and I get stacked off.

What should I have done on the turn? Is it possible I played every street terribly? My read on him was that if I called the turn and the board paired he would not bet if I checked and he might fold the river 50-75% of the time. If the river was a diamond he certainly would not bet to my check and might fold close to 90% of the time on the river to any decent bet.

I have 17 outs on the river. I was sure he didn't have AA or KK so all my outs were good.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Horribly played no limit hand

on the turn you should either check and call or bet it yourself. I dont think he will bet too many worse hands here so checkraising the turn is probably the worst option.

You've already identified the main problem here. If you make it 65 to go preflop and get 5 way action, you bet the pot on the flop and you are pot committed. This way you will not give him the right price to draw out and even if he does call you will be nearly all in and not have to make any diffucult turn decisions.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:27 AM

Yeah I should have check called the turn and then check mucked the river. I raised because I thought there was a chance he had a straight and would muck it but upon further review there is not enough fold equity there to make a reraise worth it.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:16 AM

maybe if you've been a weak/tight nit nut peddling for several hours he might fold astraight with no flush draw, but even then it's close since the pot is so big on the turn. you definitely need to check/call the turn. push your last 400 if you improve on the river