Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Realizing You\'re Not The Hotshot You Think

It has come to my attention from recent play and from reading the small stakes forum that I am not very good, despite having read all the usual stuff and playing for just over two years. Fortunately, I'm winning at a good rate, but its obvious to me that I am relatively helpless against the strongest 2/4 players and that what success I have had is due almost solely to careful game and seat selection and the generosity of the usual player. This is, to say the least, a sobering realization.

I've decided to play less and read more.

This is similar to an epiphany one I had in my professional life. I was the top person at what I did (I now have my own business)- there was not much you could teach me and I had seen and prevailed over everything that could happen. Although others I have talked with disagree, I believe they were just being charitable- I was an arrogant prick.

Then one day I just simply got humbled, not by an error or extraordinary event, but by the realization that what I knew was dwarfed by what I did not. This did not depress me, it made me curious and careful, which were both improvements. I hope to do the same with poker.

Apologies for any flippant or lame posts I have made in the past. I am teachable and want to learn.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Realizing You\'re Not The Hotshot You Think

It's a continuous cycle.

As you become a big fish, you move into a bigger pond. Then you're the little fish again.

Don't play less. Apply your knowledge more and study the better players carefully while you play.

Good post.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:26 PM

I'd also say play alot at stakes that are simple for your to execute on. Avoid moving up until you believe you are overprepared with study AND bankroll. You can datamine your potential new opponents for months online using PT. DO that also. You might consider datamining during the times you will be playing. This way you get data on players you WILL likely play.

One last thing is, consider reading the book MASTERY by George Leonard. It's a quick read the first time through. I believe you will get a great deal of real insight out of that read... given your post here.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a continuous cycle.

As you become a big fish, you move into a bigger pond. Then you're the little fish again.

Don't play less. Apply your knowledge more and study the better players carefully while you play.

Good post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, in poker the goal is rather NOT to become the big fish..
Old 07-20-2005, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It has come to my attention from recent play and from reading the small stakes forum that I am not very good,

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that you understand AND are willing to admit this, puts you far ahead of many players who are deluding themselves otherwise. Only when you realize you know nothing can you truly begin to learn everything.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 07-21-2005, 12:23 AM

With one exception I agree completely with your post. That exception was the word, "everything."

None of us will ever come close to learning everything, and I doubt that you meant to imply that it was possible to do so.

The important part of your reply was your statement: "The fact that you understand AND are willing to admit this, puts you far ahead of many players who are deluding themselves otherwise."

I agree 100%. MOST people delude themselves about how well they play and many other issues.

Regards,

Al
Old 07-21-2005, 01:29 AM

Nice post. If only everybody were this willing to be this honest with themself.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:51 AM

excellent post. i may have to save this one for other people in your situation.

[ QUOTE ]
I've decided to play less and read more.

[/ QUOTE ]

i always agreed with this thought process. i think that if you are serious in attempting to become a skilled player you are better off spending your early days learning the game through reading and spending your later days reaping the rewards at higher limits. you wont be able to learn at as fast a rate by playing more often then you spend time reading. everyone of course learns in different ways, and some people need to apply the information that theyve learned in order for it to sink in.

i think as poker players we all need to identify the best method of learning the game for ourselves and make that a priority over short-term profits and enjoyment in actual playing of the game.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:09 AM

I know what you mean. Whenever I walk up to a poker talble I feel like this.

This is because of my own expectation and how well I expect myself to perform under every circumstance, all the time.
The more I learn about poker, the harder it becomes to play well. Edgar Degas said, "Painting [poker] is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do." The Green Donkey (I love that expression) doesn't understand that he made a mistake, then compounded his mistake with several more. He only knows that he just raked in a pot, so he must have done something right. The learned player though, quickly sees his mistake for what it is, very costly and bad decision making.

Two other quotes for the people: "I was going to buy a copy of The Power of Positive Thinking, and then I thought, 'What the hell good would that do?' -Ronnie Shakes

"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. -Carl Jung.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With one exception I agree completely with your post. That exception was the word, "everything."

None of us will ever come close to learning everything,

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. But don't you agree that, as I said, we can *begin* to learn everything / anything?

Regardless: we're on the same page; pardon my lack of clarity.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com