Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Reraising AK preflop?

What should i be doing with AK when someone raises to 3 or 4 big blinds in front of me? Should I just call, reraise? I used to reraise and Ive recently started just calling and I'm thinking its better. What should I do if I raise and someone reraises? Call? Reraise them?
Old 08-19-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Reraising AK preflop?

With position I usually reraise then bet strong on flop if they check... out of position I just call and c/f a missed flop.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:16 PM

Personally I normally play AK as a speculatiove hand such as suited connectors in earley and Middle position. I will raise it up in Late position and may re-rasie depending on if I thought Villian was weak or not. but normally i try not to go too far with the hand, it is a drawing type hand, and i have seen many players goo all in and lose to somthing silly. Where as if they had seen the flop, I am sure they would have not gone any further.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With position I usually reraise then bet strong on flop if they check... out of position I just call and c/f a missed flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is headsup at the flop, I may throw out a bet OOP, but other than that, I do the above.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:36 PM

IMO, the situation at the table should determine how to play this hand. Whether I call a raise, or re-raise depends alot on the player who raised the pot. If they're LAGGY, I prefer to come over the top & try to end the hand right there. Otherwise, I'll usually call & take a flop when I have position. If I'm in the blinds, I usually like to re-raise (although this still depends alot upon the initial raiser).

If there have been no raises in front of me, I'll usually raise it myself. If I get re-raised & I'm OOP, my inclination is to fold (again, this depends on the player re-raising me). If there's a raise, followed by a re-raise before it gets to me, I usually fold w/out thinking twice.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:39 PM

What is your position relative to the raiser? Where is the raise coming from? How many people at the table? What are the stack sizes?

So many issues you need to address before anyone can answer this question accurately.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:52 PM

depends heavily on villain's preflop range and his postflop tendencies. these questions are impossible to answer in a vaccuum.