Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 09:38 AM

Default My flush comes and I get min-raised?!

I’ve been reading these forums for a while but I decided it was time to start posting some.

Reads on the villain – he’s an okay player, his play is fairly weak at times but he will continuation bet and bluff occasionally. He does things I consider to be not such great plays like min-raising pre-flop once an orbit or so and it would not be odd to see a min-bet post-flop. I have also commonly seen weak bets from him with weak hands and strong bets with strong hands.

Sorry no hand history (at work)…

Party 25nl 6max - villain has $28 and I have him covered.

Pre-flop: Hero in BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
folded to CO, CO calls, Button (villain) min-raises, SB folds, Hero calls, CO calls

This min-raise could mean anything between K10 and AA

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pot: ~$1.5)
Hero checks, CO checks, Button bets $1, Hero raises to $3, CO folds, Button calls

So my rational here is that I was hoping to knock him off a simple continuation bet if he missed and if that didn’t happen I’d at least disguise my hand.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (pot: ~$7.5)
Hero bets $5.5, CO raises to $11, Hero calls

So my flush came and I was happy for about 4 seconds, I figured he would call me down with a big ace – I called so I could re-evaluate on the river depending on the card / how large his river bet was. I just can’t see him doing this with anything less than a set – maybe A10?

I didn’t re-raise all in here because I thought he would call a river push with anything he’s going to min-rise me on the turn with. Was that a mistake?

River: 10[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (pot: ~$29.5)
Hero checks, CO pushes ($13.5), Hero folds

I just couldn’t find a hand he would min-raise me with on the turn that I am now ahead of (or was already behind before the river) – maybe A7…?

So I’m wondering if I’m seeing monsters – that was a pretty big pot to fold on the river and I can’t stop thinking about it. Also I have no idea what he had he didn’t show and I didn’t ask.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:59 AM

Default Re: My flush comes and I get min-raised?!

This is why playing draws, esp. weak ones like this, really sucks OOP. Flop raise is ok if you think you have some fold equity, otherwise I probably just fold here to be honest.

After the flop, I think you played it fine. You have to bet that turn to try and push out people drawing to a single high heart. On the river, its a pretty simple mathematical question. You are getting about 3-1 to call, so if you think youre good at least 25% of the time against this guy than call. Otherwise lay it down. FWIW, without a read, Im laying it down.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:03 AM

I would push the turn here. Pot is so big, so you must protect against possible trips.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:50 AM

pushing the turn is great for several reasons.

If another heart falls, you will lose to a higher flush, and you will lose action from trips or 2-pair.

Just shove the money in - being a favourite over the trips and 2-pair, and taking it down right now or making a single [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] call when he is behind.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:54 AM

I don't think calling the turn minraise and folding to a non-heart river is a good idea. If you believe he had a bigger flush on the turn, fold there. If you believe he had something else, push.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:01 PM

I guess I didnt really address dealing with the turn raise. I think I would probably push there myself, although I am somewhat concerned about someone having a bigger flush.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:03 PM

You don't necessarily have to push the turn. If you think the minraise could be a big heart plus a pair or something of that nature, calling is fine. However, you must then also call the river if a 4th heart doesn't come.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:13 PM

I agree with Ghazban that if you were going to call the turn min-raise than you should call the river push. K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T seems a possble hand here, he may just have a T. So I think you either fold the turn or play it out.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:21 PM

Pushing the turn definately makes sense in terms of losing action on the river if another heart comes and making a big lone heart pay for it.

My only concern is that this player who I read as weak min-raised the turn, which in my book means a monster. But Ghazban definately makes me wonder if he had say AKo with a heart.

To be hoenst I called the turn / checked the river hoping to see him make a small bet and then I would have been fairly confident I had the best hand.

AKo with that ace or king is a real possiblity - it didn't even really occur to me during the hand, when that river came all I could put him on was a bigger flush or a boat. But hey that's why I'm still playing 25nl!
Old 08-19-2005, 01:59 PM

I'd probably push the turn. Too many cards can come down that screw you over and you're probably ahead.

Ryan