Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2005, 12:10 AM

Default Some thoughts Barry G

[ QUOTE ]
But at the next level, as I show in some examples, you need to be aware of times when you don't have a very good hand, but your opponent has a hand that will not call your bet or raise. Most players don't tie these two situations together properly. You need to have the same betting pattern in both of these situations that come up so frequently in no-limit hold'em and seven-card stud.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Twoplustwo books serve their readership well. The difference is partly due to the structure we play that puts a premium on taking the correct actions rather than starting with the best hand.

We try to avoid structures or games that will allow a tight player to win. Our stud games normally have a 1 to 4 ante-to-small bet ratio, and the ante in the no-limit games is generally equal to the small blind. We also play gambling games like Omaha, Omaha 8/b, and triple draw -- games in which you can win playing suspect starting hands if your opponents don't bet their hands aggressively enough.

I think this training carries over to tournaments well, where the people playing on the values of their cards get ground down and have trouble getting ahold of a lot of chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

these are precisely some of the things that readers we're looking for more of from your book. i, personally, find it interesting how ultra-high limit players in your game would play against someone of David Sklansky's caliber (say a $400-$800 player). alot of players on this site are very serious about poker and are trying to find as much of an edge as possible against their opponents. what better way than to learn that from a player who plays in a game that trains you constantly to exploit edges (i.e playing structures that make it hard for a tight player to win and that place more emphasis or correct actions than hand values)?

alot of players on this site want to better be able to recognize spots where a player may not have that great of a hand but his opponent will not call a bet or raise. that's why we, at least i know i do, like hand examples and thought processes behind them. the fact that you play in a game with arguably the best players on the planet is why alot of players on 2+2 would pay top dollar for that kind of material. it's one thing for Gigabet or ZeeJustin to discuss a hands from a NL STT but it's a whole 'nother level when you get guys like you and David Sklansky to discuss ones in a similar setting like an $1K STT for a $10K WSOP ME seat. a 350 page book of that is well worth it's weight in platinum. think about it. you still have a whole big audience out there in the arena waiting for the opening act.