Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 06:28 PM

Default I Fold Too Much: Part 2. Jacks Out of Position

Installment 2 in my quest to fold less. Here's one I played a few weeks ago that I figured was somewhat close. The villian here shows very strong 2+2ish stats.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
Old 08-16-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: I Fold Too Much: Part 2. Jacks Out of Position

I hate this fold.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:05 PM

I don't believe I would ever fold here. Ever.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe I would ever fold here. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-16-2005, 07:07 PM

You never give credit for an overpair?
Old 08-16-2005, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You never give credit for an overpair?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would, but not enough to fold getting what looks like 11.5:2 on my calldown.

If you have an overpair in a heads up pot, a policy of folding 0% of the time is very very close to optimal.

edit: I can remember doing it once in a limit game. It was at the party poker million tournament on the bubble, i had QQ and older conservative player had called 3 cold before the flop (in a very very tight game) and then raised the 974 or something flop. Callin him down would have meant a big hit to my stack, and I still thought about it for several minutes. One other time I wanted to fold an overpair but didin't.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:24 PM

Is it really that clear? I still have a very hard time putting a solid player on anything that I beat other than TT and 99. His stop and go screams strength. There's no way I'd ever expect a solid player to play AK or worse this way.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:25 PM

This has nothing to do with giving credit or thinking you are beat sometimes. You are DEFINATELY beat sometimes. However, I think you win plenty of times here to make this a profitable play.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it really that clear? I still have a very hard time putting a solid player on anything that I beat other than TT and 99. His stop and go screams strength. There's no way I'd ever expect a solid player to play AK or worse this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine, let's put his range at exactly 99-AA (althoguht I think that's giving him too much credit).

12 combos of TT and 99 we beat, 18 combos of QQ-AA we lose too.

We have the best hand against that range 40% of the time, and the worst hand 60% of the time. Getting almost 6:1 to call down, how can we not?
Old 08-16-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok so TT and 99 you beat
QQ KK AA beat you

so you're losing 3-2

11.5-2 to call down...

so.........

oh and A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] maybe, just maybe, putting a move on a weak tightie like you.... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]