Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Two Hands from Party 34K (Deep Stacks)

2217, down to 50. Blinds 1500/3000. Hero has 28K. I haven't tried to steal blinds much and have been quiet for the last 30 minutes. Button (Villian) has me covered by a few thousand and has been fairly active. Most pots taken down preflop. We both have SB and BB covered by around 8K or so.

Folds around to Hero in the CO with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero raises to 10K. Button Raises all in to 42K. Hero goes into the tank and folds. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] He said AK. Is this a fold preflop?

Hand #2 - 18 left. 5000/10000 blinds

Hero still card dead posts 5K with 14K behind. 2 limpers, Hero pushes with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. This is the correct play right to take a chance to quad up? There was so way I was making the final table without doubling twice. 5 bricks and I was out in 15th.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Two Hands from Party 34K (Deep Stacks)

With less than 10 BBs your only play is push or fold PF. If he would have called with AK that sucks and you would have been out. Personally I think I fold A8 there, but I'm sure there's lots of people here who'd push it, especially given your tight image.

Second hand is fine, you have two big blinds. The only way you're going to stay in the thing is to quad up. Might as well do it with a drawing hand against multiple opponents.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:26 PM

How is this deep stacked at all?
Old 08-19-2005, 01:56 PM

Was the 9xBB "deep stacks" comment a joke?

Hand 1: This is most likely a push for me. It is an unexploitable push with A9(CEV). Meaning, even if they only called with AT+ 22+ (They only called when you didnt want them too) you still push this. The worst thing you can do is overbet a steal and fold.

Touches on an important issue. With the stack sizes what they are, the odds of someone calling preflop are slim (and usually means you are CRUSHED in the hand). So, why wait until you have A9 to steal if you are going to fold to a reraise? Barring an absolute miracle (He calls to trap with KK, you flop and Ace). A9 is going to be played exactly the same way as a get out of jail free card, and the old maid.

Basically, you are playing a hand for value in a way which the value of the cards doesnt matter at all.

You should NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER, get blinded down to 2xBB. Once I get down to <5xBB I am pushing the first time I open a pot, even if it is UG. You are so much better off playing a 11xBB pot as a dog (even AA vs 68o) than playing a 8xBB pot 4-way with bad cards.

If yuo let yourself get down that low, you might as well fold and wait. I think trying to sneak up the pay scale is the best strategy here.