Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 11:45 PM

Default Go for Overcalls?

I need some help on the topic of, "Going for overcalls" and figured this hand that came up tonight would help me. My thinking when I made the plays on each street was that I could make an extra bet on each street by the two players behind me. And I wanted all three players to chase at any draws they could so they could end up to a second-best hand. Before the turn came, however, I was going to raise but once I saw the 2nd heart hit the board I thought, possibly one of them had a flush draw, and that would be very profitable for me so I just called. Now the part where I think I messed up is not raising the river. Was calling correct or was raising the better option with two players still to act?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed)
converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, BB calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 13.25 BB
Old 08-16-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Go for Overcalls?

You're not so much going for overcalls here as you are slowplaying; overcalls are usually a term reserved for the river.

Nitting aside, I think you need to get a raise in on the flop, turn, and river. There's a chance the donks behind you will call 2, which would be great, and there's a chance the bettor has 3 threes, or a flush on the river (both of which you beat) that will be willing to go to war with you and lose.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:59 PM

Raise the turn.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:07 AM

I could see slowplaying this flop, since the pot is not huge (it's decent size, but not huge), you've got everyone drawing dead, and you don't want to blast the field away on the smaller streets. However, it's not likely anyone's hand will improve a ton on the turn, so I think it's OK to bet the flop.

But, in any event, I would raise the turn.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:31 AM

Geez man, throw a raise in there somewhere.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Geez man, throw a raise in there somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-17-2005, 03:00 AM

I don't mind the flop call, but you really need to raise the turn. UTG may have something like A3s and be willing to go to war.

-Jaran
Old 08-17-2005, 03:33 AM

Calling the flop was fine. It allowed people to catch some type of draw. On the turn they pick up a straight draw and a flush draw, and one of them could have a Q or 3. This is the perfect time to spring into action with a raise. They are certainly not going to fold a 3, a flush draw, and probably not even a straight draw.

And yeah... raise that river. With the flush possibility and trips possibility out there, you will get calls and perhaps a raise even.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:39 AM

Raise the flop damnit, it is your best chance to get overcold calls, and assuming villain isn't bluffing, he'll probably then wait for the turn to check raise you with his 3 threes, and you'll win oodles of money.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:15 AM

Well played, now you're opponents think you can't read your own hand, and you can profit from it later.