Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 05:42 PM

Default How to act when got best combinations cards from the flop?

Hi everyone!
Just got a question, what would you advise me to do in following situation:
I have got QT from very beginning, flop came QQT. I made a small bet, everyone folded. -> How can i get maximum pot out of that?
What to do in similar situation when i got best possible combinations and my chances of winning close to even 90%. How to make other people pay more?
Thank you!
Old 08-16-2005, 05:49 PM

Default Re: How to act when got best combinations cards from the flop?

You're asking people to write a book here. Read "Theory of Poker" by Sklanksy.

And the hand that you posted isn't going to get you much money in many instances. When a flop like that comes, the deck is generally crippled and people just aren't going to stick around for the most part.

Check the flop and turn, and put out a sizable bet on the river that makes it look like you're bluffing. You might get a call from AT or something similar.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:52 PM

just check it around, and hope that someone catches something.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:55 PM

It depends on a lot of things. Your image - are you tight, loose, aggressive, weak? 6-max or full-ring? Did you make a pre-flop raise with this? Did someone else make a pre-flop raise?

I play LAG at 6-max, and I'd be raising QT from the CO/Buttons. I also make lots of continuation bets on many flops, though this flop could be considered 'scary'. I'll assume you're in an early position though - if you have such a strong holding, I see nothing wrong with checking, and letting people behind you bet, and open it up.

Another problem is that you probably aren't going to make much on this hand anyways, unless someone else has the case Q, TT-AA, and maybe a single T. I don't think there's anything wrong with it getting checked around on the flop and something like a 9 or a J falls, completing someone's straight.

Checking the flop also lets you see if anyone behind you has a hand they like - namely, the 4th Q or TT.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:59 PM

The other two posters hit it. The only way you'll get paid with a board like that if you bet is if you have a crazy LAG image and somebody has a good hand (e.g. AJ, 9-9). I've also had some success with the crazy underbet (e.g. $5 into a $20 pot) from early position. This sometimes induces the next guy to call because he's getting 5 to 1 on his money and the next guy calls, etc. That is the only way to really build a pot. If three people call the underbet you can wind up with a pot that someone might be willing to fight for on later steets.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:59 PM

unless u were the PFR why would u lead out with the stone cold nuts? i check/call, check/call, VB. hopefully an ace or paint falls and someone makes broadway and passes their stack across the felt, otherwise u r not getting paid.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:10 PM

I never said I'd lead out. It's really dependent on the situation. If I've been raising a lot PFR and taking it down with a continuation bet on both scary and non-scary boards, I might bet out, and hope to get raised by a T. Building a LAG image is exactly for these hands, because AT-JT, JJ, 99, 88 might all play back at me.

However, in a hand like this example, when it's very unlikely someone might have something to play back at you, it's an easy check.