Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Starting Over

So in January i plopped $100 onto Stars and starting playing .50/1 6max. By the end of the spring semester I had a very healthy bankroll for 2/4 (500+BB) and a decent rate. I decided that instead of getting some POS office job over the sumemr id play poker. Instead, becuase I am lazy as hell, I just withdrew $1500 from the account and didnt play. So now Im going back to the beginning at the beginning of the fall semester. Just wanted to float this plan by the HUSH forum and see what you guys think:

Start out with my ~$500 roll playing .50/1 6 max. Mostly working on my preflop play (i was a bit tight at 23/12 before) and building up the roll. After 25k hands, and assumnig a 500 bb roll, move up to 1/2. Repeat process at 1/2. Anybody think this is too many hands at each level considering Ive already been a winner there? Should I just play as many hands as it takes as fast as I can to move through these levels? Also, once I get to 2/4 shoudl I drop a few tables and focus more on postflop play, or is that better served to wait until 3/6 or 5/10?

Any advice appreciated. Oh yea, my laptop crashed too so Ill be starting a whole new PT database.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Starting Over

23 isn't too tight, but I think your PFR should be higher. I've done well just moving up in limits whenever I have the bankroll, I don't see the need to play a set amount of hands at each limit. Why stay and master each limit if your goal is really to move up to the next one?
Old 08-17-2005, 12:15 PM

25k hands is plenty especially if you were a winner on that limit before. Just move up when you have the roll and feel comfortable with it.
VPIP 23 is not too tight in my eyes.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:18 PM

For moving up the key is really a solid confidence that you're beating that game. For 1/2 6-max I was confident I was a winner after around 15k hands. Now at 5-10 6-max, I've played close to 65k and just now am getting the confidence to consider the move up to 10-20. A padded bankroll to back that certainly helps, but not bankroll is going to help if you don't feel emotionally ready to deal with the next level.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:23 PM

Don't schedule a move up after x number of hands. Don't schedule a move up after x number of BBs. It sounds like your planning skills arnt spectacular anyways.

Play the game, stay propery bankrolled, learn, move up when you feel ready. Racing to move up, or moving up in accordance with a preset schedule is a tremendous mistake.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:23 PM

Yeah I think 23 is OK at the lower limtis, but when you move up I tihnk you have to loosen up, and I figure I may as well get used to it when Im playing against some of the biggest idiots on the planet at .50/1. the pfr DEFINITELY needs to go up.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:25 PM

Yeah this summer didnt go well. I need a boss to tell me what to do [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I think 23 is OK at the lower limtis, but when you move up I tihnk you have to loosen up,

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is incorrect.

Krishan
Old 08-17-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I think 23 is OK at the lower limtis, but when you move up I tihnk you have to loosen up,

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this is incorrect.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Krishan is right. As El Diablo (anybody remember him?) once said, it's wise to tighten up when you move up and then start adding hands as you become comfortable with the higher limit and it's style of play. 20/15 is probably a good starting point when beginning a new limit. Heck, 18/14 would allow you to win a modest amount at most limits with low variance and give you time to adjust before losing your roll.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I think 23 is OK at the lower limtis, but when you move up I tihnk you have to loosen up, and I figure I may as well get used to it when Im playing against some of the biggest idiots on the planet at .50/1. the pfr DEFINITELY needs to go up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree 100%. Loosening up from a 23% vpip is some of the worst advice i've seen on these boards. It is constantly given out, while many great players (nate,schneids, vehn, etc) played as tight or tighter and were VERY succesful for long periods of time.

Encourage players to learn to play marginal situations better postflop. Raising extra junk isn't going to help you develop as a player if you don't know what to do when you get to the flop.

Surf