Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 04:04 PM

Default JJ when K flops. Weak bet. Your move?

$20+2 Party SNG

Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 8

Seat 1: HERO ( $690 )
Seat 10: TiltyJoker ( $755 )
Seat 3: TBone_44 ( $1840 )
Seat 9: MFstopheles ( $1055 )
Seat 6: Ravinn ( $1200 )
Seat 7: WILDCATCOACH ( $725 )
Seat 8: Nichols1 ( $815 )
Seat 4: out4fun_2000 ( $920 )

Blinds(15/30)

** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ Jh Jc ]

MFstopheles folds.
TiltyJoker folds.
HERO calls [30].
TBone_44 raises [100].
out4fun_2000 folds.
Ravinn folds.
WILDCATCOACH calls [85].
Nichols1 folds.
HERO calls [70].

** Dealing Flop ** [ Kd, 9s, 7d ]
WILDCATCOACH checks.
HERO checks.
TBone_44 bets [125].
WILDCATCOACH folds.
HERO???

What is your move here?

It is a very weak bet. With the money in the pot and my chip stack it is a fold or push situation. I 4 table and I have just about no reads on villian except he is trying to coach the other players.

From experience at the $22s I do realize that alot of the fish will bet weak so you call. We all know how bad this is, but they don't and they are sick of not getting action so they bet small to get some.

The bet means I got a king, or I got ace high. What do you do here?

How was the preflop play?

Thanks
Old 08-14-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Re: JJ when K flops. Weak bet. Your move?

Preflop, you limped so your going for set value. Did you hit your set?

I think you should put in a small raise if you want to continue here. JJ in EP isnt really that good if you are playing for a set since you will be in tough situations if someone raises. Bet 3xBB to try and slim the field.

On the flop his bet means nothing, did you have any plan on the flop? I think you need a probe bet here since you have something. He is going to bet anyway (continuation) so I think a bet of half the pot will help you know where you stand.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:39 AM

Problem is, a bet of half the pot will cripple me if I lose (either by folding or calling a raise, both are bad plays).

This is either a push or fold situation IMO. But when the overcard flops, I have to check it.

He bets weak, and my question is really asking, does a weak bet mean strength or weakness from a fish?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:17 AM

Im playing 10+1, so I dont know how accurate this is but...

Preflop.

I think limping is fine. But if it were me, I'd push in after the raise and call. I'm not sure how well this will do in 20s, but I seem to get called with crazy hands in 10+1 (A2-9, pockts 55-10, KJ, K10, etc). And because you dont have a big stack, a coinflip isnt TOO terrible.

Post Flop.

I think this is bad advice, but I would make the 125 bet myself and give the pot up if I'm called or raised. I dont think I'd be too afraid of someone making a move on me because 125 seems like a pretty big bet from 590 stack.

I dont know wat im doin, Brian
Old 08-15-2005, 02:17 PM

I'm tempted to push preflop, but I hate doing it in this spot with JJ. Anyways, I think you have to check/fold the flop. You called preflop for set/overpair value, and you missed. That type of bet is usually not a weak continuation bet at the 22s (continuation bets are the pot size!), probably AK,KK,AA trying to extra value or QQ-TT. But you're options are to fold or call down, but I don't like calling here since you'll have to face more bets later with no idea where you stand.