Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 01:51 AM

Default KJo from the SB

This one felt a little weak. The reason for the preflop raise was that the preflop limper was pretty loose and bad. I have no real read on the BB, but he's 44/7.5/1.91/30.5 after 90 hands.

Turn seems alright to me given the board texture, although opinions are welcome, but I mainly question the flop bet. Although I have a gutshot this seems like a pretty awful flop.

Comments appreciated.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 5 BB
Old 08-15-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: KJo from the SB

Meh.

I wouldn't hate a turn bet. When you check it's often seen as an engraved invitation to take the pot from you. Then again, semi-bluffing against calling stations, blah blah...

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this one.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:06 AM

Yeah, that's what I feel. Once I check even the most passive players are betting tons of hands there, but on this board I feel like I'm getting a call very often, and I don't have showdown value vs. his flop calling range. Meh is right.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:07 AM

I think the flop bet is fine.

The turn is awkward, but what can you do? I guess actually I might fire again, hoping to drive out AJ/KT or something, but there are a lot of hands BB can find reasons to call with (including the ones I mentioned), and the river is going to be difficult to play unimproved. And if BB finds a raise with, say, A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], what can you do except make an incorrect fold?
Old 08-15-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there are a lot of hands BB can find reasons to call with (including the ones I mentioned),

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is a big part of the problem as well, as I'm not sure if he's calling or folding with weakish overcard/gutshot draws. I'm trying to tone down firing the second barrel against semi-loose-passives on turns like this so hopefully this is alright.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:31 AM

This situation can be sticky. You have to find the balance and get a read on your opponent, and once that happens you can actually play these spots pretty confidently.

Today I played against a guy who would always, always call a flop bet, but then fold every time if I followed up with a turn bet.

Other people will call down with nothing.

Once you get them seperated life becomes much easier.

I'm sure this isn't front page news to anybody, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:42 AM

Good points though.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:54 AM

i don't get why you folded the turn though i don't mind the check given you're unsure of villain's hands? HU i probably would have called and folded the river UI- is that chip spewing?
Old 08-15-2005, 05:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't get why you folded the turn though i don't mind the check given you're unsure of villain's hands? HU i probably would have called and folded the river UI- is that chip spewing?

[/ QUOTE ]
If you're counting your K outs, you have 7 outs on the turn and are only getting 5-1. Not enough to continue.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:18 AM

Unless that 7 paired the BB, the turn was really a blank. I'd fire again, but I'm stubborn.