Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Need dog advice

I have a large dog. He was at a kennel for five days. He seemed fine when I brought him home three days ago but now he has terrible diarrhea. He has [censored] all over my house for the past 24 hours. Needless to say my weekend has not been fun. Vet is closed. Why is this happening? I know nothing about dogs. I try to be good to him.

(I don't feed him anything but dry dog food as that is what the vet told me.) He looks depressed. Suggestions?
Old 08-14-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Need dog advice

Not a vet, but in my experience with my dog it's just been homesickness. We leave him at an animal boarding hospital for a week every year when we go on a cruise and he's usually constipated (maybe your dog prefers diarrhea) and keeps to himself for a few days afterward (almost as if he's pissed off that we left him).

Take him to see the vet when they're open if you want to be sure, but I wouldn't worry until then.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:02 PM

Thanks for the response. I've been wondering if it had to do with the kennel. Worried about him cause he hasn't eaten in two days but like I said I know nothing about dogs and he's not very verbal.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:05 PM

i got a dog at the pound and he did the same thing. it was not pretty. it didnt start right away but took several days after i had him. took him to the vet and found out he had a virus which is very common for pound animals to pick up (so i assume animals being boarded would do the same). anyway, some medication cleared it up quickly.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:53 PM

He probably just picked up a virus while there, take him to the vet and get him some meds. As long as he's had his vaccinations it's unlikely he picked up something really bad.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:48 PM

He's probably sick and should see the vet, but you might look also look at the food you're giving him. Is it the same thing he was eating before? Dogs can get sick if you all of a sudden change their food, regardless of the quality of food you're giving him. You should transition him from the old to the new food, giving mostly the old food to start, then more and more the new food.

Also, give him a teaspoon or two of plain yogourt with his food to help him keep some good bacteria in his stomach. The vet will also tell you to give him yogourt when (s)he gives you antibiotics for him.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:56 PM

yeah I wondered about the food switch at the kennel. I've never changed his diet on purpose but he was fed something different at the kennel. Could that cause him to be sick for damn near three days now? (He's only had to go outside like 20 times in the past two hours.)

Plain yogurt?? Who has plain yogurt? Would boysenberry work cause I've got boysenberry.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:04 AM

Are all of his shots up to date? 3 straight days of diarhea like you describe could be serious.

Don't freak out, but don't take it lightly either. Get the dog to a vet and have it diagnosed. It's probably some common parasite or virus but it could be more serious, I once ignored some mild symptoms in a puppy for about a week before finding out it had distemper; we had to put that dog down and I swore I'd never let that happen again.