Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Wheee!

72 left, I have 3700, average about 9000, blinds 300/600. 10-handed table, stacks range from 2000 to 15000 with most in the 4000-8000 range. UTG folds, I push A5s UTG+1. I pushed the previous hand as well but have not been all that active otherwise. I think this sort of push is pretty reasonable, yeah?
Old 08-12-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Wheee!

bumparoo.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:25 PM

In general, you are looking for any excuse to open push with 6xBB. However, I don't like your hand or your position.

A5s is about a 7-3 dog against A6-AK and 55-KK, which are likely calling hands. It may play fairly well against some semirandom hand the BB may call you with. Basically, you do not want to push into 8 players with a weak ace. I would much rather push with 75s or QTs here. You might even be better off pushing with 72o or 32o. A5s would be a decent hand to push with short stacked from the button, where you are likely to get called by Kx or Qx.

Still you definately want to push this hand or the next and your hand is suited, so the play is not that bad.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In general, you are looking for any excuse to open push with 6xBB. However, I don't like your hand or your position.

A5s is about a 7-3 dog against A6-AK and 55-KK, which are likely calling hands. It may play fairly well against some semirandom hand the BB may call you with. Basically, you do not want to push into 8 players with a weak ace. I would much rather push with 75s or QTs here. You might even be better off pushing with 72o or 32o. A5s would be a decent hand to push with short stacked from the button, where you are likely to get called by Kx or Qx.

Still you definately want to push this hand or the next and your hand is suited, so the play is not that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude are you crazy. Pusing with 32o or 72o is way worse, it's not even close. Those hands do MUCH worse against the calling range you suggest than A5s (25-26% vs. 35%). Actually they do much worse against any reasonable calling range.
75s is closer, but still a worse hand to push. The win% is about the same, but having the Ace with A5s makes it considerably less likely that someone out there will have an Ace.
QTs is maybe a bit better but it's still close. Win% is higher (40% against your range), but again, having the Ace lowers the chance that one of your opponents also has one.

Also...your range seems way wide to me. I'm pushing 6xBB in early position! Who's gonna call me with A8o?
Old 08-13-2005, 02:44 AM

If its the beginning of the 300/600 level I would fold and let the blinds go by, especially if i pushed the previous hand. After the blinds go by you'll have 4 BBs which isn't much but you're still alive. If it's the end of the level, I would push as you'll have 3BBs soon which means you're in trouble.
Good heads up battle last night by the way. Stupid Q3. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If its the beginning of the 300/600 level I would fold and let the blinds go by, especially if i pushed the previous hand. After the blinds go by you'll have 4 BBs which isn't much but you're still alive. If it's the end of the level, I would push as you'll have 3BBs soon which means you're in trouble.
Good heads up battle last night by the way. Stupid Q3. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You shoulda known better than to call with trash like AQ! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 08-13-2005, 04:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
72 left, I have 3700, average about 9000, blinds 300/600. 10-handed table, stacks range from 2000 to 15000 with most in the 4000-8000 range. UTG folds, I push A5s UTG+1. I pushed the previous hand as well but have not been all that active otherwise. I think this sort of push is pretty reasonable, yeah?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely. Your FE is gone 3 hands from now with your ~2,800 stack. I'm pushing here for better or worse.

Pep.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude are you crazy. Pusing with 32o or 72o is way worse, it's not even close. Those hands do MUCH worse against the calling range you suggest than A5s (25-26% vs. 35%). Actually they do much worse against any reasonable calling range.
75s is closer, but still a worse hand to push. The win% is about the same, but having the Ace with A5s makes it considerably less likely that someone out there will have an Ace.
QTs is maybe a bit better but it's still close. Win% is higher (40% against your range), but again, having the Ace lowers the chance that one of your opponents also has one.

Also...your range seems way wide to me. I'm pushing 6xBB in early position! Who's gonna call me with A8o?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was kind of joking about the junk hands, but I am not sure I like an early position push for 6xBB with A5s. I think you are better off with a suited connector/gapper, and you are definately better off with a pp or two high cards.

A reasonable calling range would be A9-AK, 88-AA, KJ-KQ, most of which dominate A5s. In your calculations that A5s does better than 75s, did you consider the fact that hands with different cards are about 2.5 times more common than pp hands? That is you are much more likely to be dealt AK than AA.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:21 PM

I think AA-JJ, AK is a reasonable range to put quite a few opponents on.

That said, I would make this decision mainly on factors like who the bb is. The bb is likely to have a much wider range (partly because he has some invested already and, more importantly, because he's last to act). If he's a big stack that has called some before, I might fold AT here. If the situation is favourable though I sometimes push 60-70% of my hands here.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think AA-JJ, AK is a reasonable range to put quite a few opponents on.

That said, I would make this decision mainly on factors like who the bb is. The bb is likely to have a much wider range (partly because he has some invested already and, more importantly, because he's last to act). If he's a big stack that has called some before, I might fold AT here. If the situation is favourable though I sometimes push 60-70% of my hands here.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is way to narrow a range to call a 6xBB push. I like my range of 88-AA, A9-AK, and KJ-KQ. Even for a 10xBB push, AA-JJ and AK is ridiculously tight.

How the BB plays is a factor, but in a borderline call decision you should be ahead with whatever you pushed with from early position.

I don't care if the BB is sure to call, I open push with AT and 6xBB.