Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 05:17 PM

Default preflop hand selection mp

I feel like I've been getting myself in trouble with my pf hand selection lately, esp when I'm about 4 off the button. In a typical-tough 15/30 ring game on party where you're likely to get 3-bet behind you or out of the blinds when somebody does come along, what's the earliest position from which you would open raise the following hands at a 10 handed table?
ATo, ATs
KQo, KQs
KJo, KJs
KTo, KTs
QJo, QJs
JTo, JTs

When I get QJo with 3 players left behind me (not counting the blinds) the maniac/gambler/party-poker-fish-disrepecter I really want to raise. But then I get 3-bet by AJo, lose some chips and feel like maybe I'm the fish.

I figure once I get to co and it's still unopened I have to raise my QJ, but I think maybe I'm opening myself up too much in mp, esp in a game where I'm likely to get played back at alot and my late mp/lp raises aren't gonna get much respect.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:36 PM

Default Re: preflop hand selection mp

assuming the game is good i open:

ATs - UTG
ATo - MP2
KQo/s -UTG
KJo - MP2
KJs - UTG/UTG1
KTo - CO (many like to open it MP3 here)
KTs - MP1
QJo - CO
QJs - UTG3/MP1
JTo - CO
JTs - MP1/MP2
Old 08-17-2005, 08:53 PM

If the game is really loose and passive I would obviously limp ATs utg, but what about when it's a little tighter, e.g. probably only 1-2 more players on avg will enter the pot behind me if I limp utg. Would you still open limp ATs? Would you open-raise it or fold it?

I hate open-limping any hand cause I feel like people will play at that sometimes but I also hate raising KQo/s or ATs in early position or early MP.

Also I'm sure these sorts of questions have been discussed here lots of times before, does anybody know of any good past threads about this?
Old 08-17-2005, 08:57 PM

its commonly regarded that ATs is a playable hand from UTG in good games. some like to open with it and some like to limp. in games where it is unlikely that i will be 3bet isolated i will raise it. however, i am a little sloppy with full ring play as ive been playing strictly shorthanded games for the past few months and have only recently begun actively participating in mid-high stakes as i plan to start playing full ring games again.