Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Approach to playing mid-pairs

This is a general question because I found through some hand analysis that I am losing a lot of money playing hands like TT-77, particularly in 6max.

Here is one example playing 5/10 NL on Party 6max. All relevant parties have stacks over $1000. Folded to me on the button with 88. I raise to $30. SB completes. BB folds. Flop is JT5 rainbow. SB checks, I bet $50, SB calls. Turn is a 4, SB checks, I check. River 7, no flush possible. SB bets $125. I folded.

I am interested in comments on the above hand, but it is really just one recent example of a typical problem I seem to run into with the mid-pairs, which is that my continuation bets are not being folded to often enough on the flop and/or turn to make these hands profitable, and when I show weakness by checking behind, about 90% of the time I face a large bet when the next card comes off.

Does anyone have thoughts on what they have found works when you get the fairly typical multiple overcard flop with these pairs? I admit that I generally raise with mid-pairs when I am first to open, particularly in 6max. Maybe that is the problem, I don't know.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Approach to playing mid-pairs

it looks like you can't really check the flop because betting is by far the superior move to checking the flop for reasons like you could have the best hand, you could fold better hands and lastly get called by a worse hand. what better spot is there to throw a bet out?

once they call you, you give them credit for better hands, and figure out a way to lose the least while you are at it. (it usually invovles the use of a button called "Fold")

you don't have to win every pot. when it is very likely that the opponent has a better hand and you think you'd have hard time moving him off the best hand, then gracefully hand over the pot.

if you are really paranoid, you should play TP hands in similar fashion and call them on river to see range of hands they are doing this with then adjust accordingly.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Approach to playing mid-pairs

I agree with everything you have said, and I usually approach it pretty much the way you described (i.e., bet the flop, fold to later shows of strength if I get called or raised). The problem has been that (at least over the 80 or so hands I looked at that fit these criteria) I was getting called about 65% of the time, and usually when called I ended up losing the pot, which meant the bet was a big money loser. Maybe the sample size here isn't large enough, I don't know.