Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Family is concerned

About 2 weeks ago I deposited 25 dollars on pokerroom right now I have 450. My mom and girlfriend talked to me last night about cashing out 400. They are worried I will lose that money and they don't understand at all. I know they shouldn't be concerned with my money management. but I do not need that money right now and I am not risking all 450 when I play...such as sitting at a 1-2 table with $50. They still don't understand why I don't just cash it out. But for instance if I do and am left with 50 if I want to play a 20 MTT I have no chance of making the money back but with 450 minus 20 I can earn the buyin back with a 2-4 or 3-6 table. What should I say to them to make them understand? Do they have a point??
Old 08-12-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Family is concerned

This doesn't really belong in this forum, but it's hard for people who don't play poker to understand bankroll management. If you want to explain to them the whole deal about 300BB etc, you can try, but they sound like nagging women already so I doubt you'll suceed. Just keep doing what you're doing. Also, you should drop down to .5/1 until you have a bigger bankroll.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:49 PM

When I was young my father had a lot of sayings.

One of them was "don't tell your mother."
Old 08-12-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I was young my father had a lot of sayings.

One of them was "don't tell your mother."

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:53 PM

While their motives are far from correct, they should be getting you to think about bankroll management. One thing in particular is that you should not be playing at 2/4 and 3/6 tables with only $400 in your bankroll.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:58 PM

I think a large majority of the people play outside of their current bankrolls....its amazing.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:22 PM

first of all it's your family. I would be worried about them if they were not worried about you. They love you and just want what's best for you. You can't expect them to understand because poker is just now getting popular and for many years was considered very taboo.
And as stated in many of the above posts, you should not be playing 1-2, 2-4, or 3-6. you should be at .50-1 and should try to stick to the 300BB mandate. Sure you could sit down at a 10-20 table win a couple hands and be up a few hundred. however that won't last and the next thing you know you will be cleaned out. If you can't understand that senario then they have more reasons to worry then you or them know about.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:35 PM

tell them to shutup.

win 1000 mroe dollars and show it to them and ask then ask them if they were right to cash out the 400 x days/months/years ago.

spend more time with gf, she has something that is more worthwhile to win. interpret that any way you like [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2005, 07:33 PM

Some time ago I deposited an intial $500 into PP which I eventually withdrew, now my only deposits are made for purposes of reload bonuses and I only play with profit (which I later withdraw after clearing the related bonus). Is this the type of situation you're in? If you're a winning player it seems it would be easy to get there if you're not already.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a large majority of the people play outside of their current bankrolls....its amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is trivially true. The majority of people are losing players, so any game for real money is above their bankroll.