Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Where I fold my set...

The opponent in this hand is extremely aggressive preflop, but extremely passive postflop.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (7 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

MP2 ($25.85)
CO ($9.20)
Button ($42.60)
SB ($35.10)
BB ($23.45)
Hero ($47.50)
MP1 ($29.55)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
Hero calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $0.4</font>, SB calls $0.40, BB folds.

Turn: ($1.55) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $6</font>, Hero folds

I was, and still am, pretty comfortable with this fold. You?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:21 PM

Default Re: Where I fold my set...

Ni han sir, and happy birthday [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Laying down a set is something you can do in NL, even at small stakes, fairly comfortably, unlike small stakes limit, where you ruthlessly assault any poster who dared to lay down a set. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 03:23 PM

Considering your read, it's a good laydown, but why are you betting so small on the flop?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:28 PM

Based upon you read of your opponent, looks like any easy laydown. He either has a straight that he was slowplaying and panicked when the 3rd diamond appeared or he hit the flush. Either way you are way behind.

I don't think you can build an argument for calling with implied odds even if you assume he will call you all-in if the board pairs on the river, but I am no expert in this area and may be missing something.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:31 PM

It's a little more than 1/2 pot, and I didn't think he would call more with a draw or overcards. Is that not ok?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
unlike small stakes limit, where you ruthlessly assault any poster who dared to lay down a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, you can imagine how conflicted I was.

"Fold!"
"No, damnn you, push!"
"No I have to fold!"
"AAARRRGGGHHH!"
[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 03:33 PM

If he is as passive as you say he is postflop, then that's a fine fold. On the flop, I think you want to bet the pot, or not at all, if youre going for the check raise. Check raising the flop definitely is a bad idea if he is passive. He's probably not a habitual continuation bettor, and you would end up giving a free card to everyone.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:35 PM

Looks like a good fold to me. But when the pot is so small, I'd go ahead and make it a pot sized bet on the flop. I doubt the extra .35 gets anybody typical to fold that would call .40.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:36 PM

Yes, you're right. The .40 bet was just silly.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:48 PM

i'm really beginning to question the wisdom of these smallish pot sized bets on the flop. villains are getting really great implied odds on some of these draws. I'm seriously considering changing my strategy up here on these type hands into overbetting the flop to see if some of these donks will still call that.....i can see the wheels on them thinking on the flop though, that "hey it's only $1 buck, and if I hit, i'm going to get paid off here, so why not call $1. I'd be interested to see if they'd call 3 or 4 in these spots instead of $1. Something to consider anyway.