Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Decision On Flop: Reraise Or Check/Raise Turn (Fairly LC)

I was playing the paradise micro's with a friend last night and this came up. I personally feel the decision between raising the flop and waiting to check/raise the turn are pretty close in terms of the money it's going to net me but I thought I'd post it to see what everyone else thinks.

Does anyone chuck in a raise preflop with that hand? My pfr% seems to be lower then the majority of posters (around 7%ish) trying to find where I'm missing the other couple %.

Now on the flop here was my thinking, I bet when it was checked to me and the button raise surprised me, the button is a player I am quite familiar with, he's pretty much a calling station but in the last week or so when I've seen him playing he's starting to play a bit more agro, but still very straightforward.

Anyways in the end my thinking was to just call the raise rather then reraise because being as I knew the button was a straightforward player he would almost certainly bet the turn again (barring another diamond falling) hopefully allowing me to trap both of them with a check/raise.

Is there a standard play here? Would I have been better to just raise it in case a diamond or another scare card fell that might prevent him from betting?

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG folds, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero ...
Old 08-09-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Decision On Flop: Reraise Or Check/Raise Turn (Fairly LC)

If there were one more limper, or if I were on the button especially, I can raise PF. Usually I won't PFR in your specific situation.

I think you made a gigantic error by leading the flop. This is an elementary, obvious check-rasie opportunity. Remember, the button to your left is the preflop aggressor. I'd need a very strong read to lead here.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:24 PM

Yes, looking at it now you're of course right and it should have been obvious.

I guess that's what I get for not playing for months at the time I was just concerned about not allowing the flop to get checked through but given my position relative to the button it was, as you said, an obv. check raise.

Check raising has always been a tool I've never used enough but this one should have been obvious even to me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I suck at poker, thanks for the heads up Grunch [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

T
Old 08-09-2005, 02:00 PM

looks good. Plus what GrunchCan said.