Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Monster draw in my first hand at the table -- extraction issues

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $15.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (8 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+2 folds.

River: (11 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB

Did I maximize this hand? The flop is pretty straightforward I think, as I had the monster draw and someone who really liked his hand, so I wanted him to continue to like it if I hit. 3 betting the flop would have been counterproductive, imho.

I debated raising the turn. Here was my thinking ... I wanted the BB in there, particularly if he had a lower flush and was going to pop it or a straight and was drawing dead. I was worried about giving the Kh/two pair/sets a cheap shot, but I was sure they would call two bets on the turn anyways.

If I just call the turn, it doesn't telegraph my hand, and if they miss the draws they are going for (and will go for anyways on the turn), then I can perhaps collect another bet on the river. All in all, I'm not sure what I should have done. Please, if you're going to tell me to raise the turn, tell me exactly why in light of what I have just said (they would draw no matter what because the pot was big, and I didn't want to telegraph my hand so I could collect an extra bet or two on the river).
Old 08-09-2005, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Monster draw in my first hand at the table -- extraction issues

I'd just 3-bet the flop and go from there. I don't think very many people are calling 2 cold but folding for 3 here. Plus it might clean up some straight outs, especially from a chop. You also might get a free card, though it is debateable whether you'll want it.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:42 PM

I'd probably raise the turn.

Rob
Old 08-09-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd just 3-bet the flop and go from there. I don't think very many people are calling 2 cold but folding for 3 here. Plus it might clean up some straight outs, especially from a chop. You also might get a free card, though it is debateable whether you'll want it.

[/ QUOTE ]

BB has not called the flop. Raising it would probably blow him out. I want him in.