Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 02:25 PM

Default Played it too fast?

Villian in this hand was a very tight, somewhat passive player preflop, but quite aggressive postflop. I put him on KJ/JQ/A10 off the flop, given he limped in the CO, but he was capable of a tricky limp with a big hand.

Should I have waited until the turn to raise? And should I have checked the river? So many questions.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (8 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (5 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets ...

Final Pot: 9.50 BB
Old 08-08-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Played it too fast?

I don't like getting tricky out of position heads up. Just bet and raise until you are met with enough resistance. Nice hand.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:33 PM

This hand was played perfectly. Call a river raise.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:39 PM

Kind of a small range to be putting him on. I am three betting the flop and leading the turn. I don't want to whiff on a turn check/raise. I don't understand why your asking about the river bet the way the hand played out I think its an easy bet.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like getting tricky out of position heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listen to Shant...

The problem is that out of position there is just so little room for maneuever, and all the tricky stuff has a high risk of letting a street get checked through, which basically sucks.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kind of a small range to be putting him on. I am three betting the flop and leading the turn. I don't want to whiff on a turn check/raise. I don't understand why your asking about the river bet the way the hand played out I think its an easy bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I ask about the river bet because there are more hands that he will bet with that I beat if I check than he will call with if I am ahead. If he has KJ, I want to check/call. If he has A10, I want to check call, because he'll almost certainly bet it but may not call a bet with it. If he has JQ, the same principle applies. Same with a middle PP or a busted draw. He might bluff with a busted draw, but won't call, and if he's made his draw or two pair, I want to check/call.

I think the river is a very interesting decision in terms of value maximizing and loss minimizing considerations.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I ask about the river bet because there are more hands that he will bet with that I beat if I check than he will call with if I am ahead. If he has KJ, I want to check/call. If he has A10, I want to check call, because he'll almost certainly bet it but may not call a bet with it. If he has JQ, the same principle applies. Same with a middle PP or a busted draw. He might bluff with a busted draw, but won't call, and if he's made his draw or two pair, I want to check/call.

I think the river is a very interesting decision in terms of value maximizing and loss minimizing considerations.

[/ QUOTE ]

your oppoent is probably in call down mode. i doubt that he will bet more hands than he would call. especially shaky holdings like second pair or a pocket pair lower than queens he will definitely call but check behind to show it down if you fail to bet.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:20 PM

He might be in call down mode, but this was in the 15 game which, as I'm sure you know, is very aggressive when people show "weakness", but had players who will fold the river with as good as second pair when they feel beaten. This was a very aggressive postflop player as well who would likely have bet the river with A10 or JQ.

Anyways, I probably played it right, but I thought the river decision was interesting. I also think that given I got raised on the flop I might have thought about CRing the turn. But since I don't need any regrets in my life, I'll assume I played perfectly and move on if nobody else thinks these decisions were interesting. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Oscar why not x-post this in Mid-High? At the levels I play at (much lower than you) this is an easy bet but I would love to hear what people who play the 15 and higher think of the river play.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:42 PM

Bump. Anyone else have thoughts on this?