Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Should I be leading with such hands in Stud8?

Main question is in regards to 4th, my thinking at the time was I wanted to play a largish pot with this draw, so I should probably lead it. Should Seat 8's board on fourth make me weary about doing this?

How should I play the hand on fourth when seat 8 develops three killer wheel cards on board?

Thanks a lot.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 7: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (4.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (5.70 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (10.70 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

River - (20.70 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx
Old 08-08-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Should I be leading with such hands in Stud8?

I'd probably play it the same way and expect to lose to Seat 8's better low. Betting on 4th is imperative to keep the pressure on the other lows.

Seat 8 may not have made a wheel, but he knows he's ahead of you for low if he's got 62 or 64 in the hole. With the size of the pot and that all your 4s are live to possibly scoop, I'd call it down but not feel to great about it when I miss on the river.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:24 PM

I don't think it really matters a whole lot on 4th to tell you the truth. No one is going to fold their low draws, if you don't bet it someone else will bet it for you. I almost think just letting another low bet might disguise your hand more, although at .25-.5 I think you could play face up and most idiots would still call you down. I don't think it matters much though IMHO. Somone correct me here?
Old 08-08-2005, 02:08 PM

niether seat 8's nor seat 2's board should scare you on 4th. With four outs to a 6 hi straight you should really like your hand. Betting is preferred only because at this limit it doesn't matter and who does the betting and you don't want to let it get checked around (small chance of that happening here, but it does happen).

On fifth, if you're agains a wheel then so be it, you can't played scared everytime someone catches a scary board. You are probably behind for the low though, so you can't raise, but you should call it down to showdown to try and catch an ace or four (four being preferred), you might want to fold if villian catches another wheel card though.

I'd say the river warrants a call given at this level you "might" still win the low. But I wouldn't be hopeful.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:03 AM

I would at least consider completing on third street. With two Fives gone, you can err on the side of caution.

Your hand is too big to not bet on fourth, especially with your board. The only other acceptable option is to check with the intention of raising, preferably a bettor on your left. Personally, I would bet out and put in as many raises as they let me.

I think calling along on fifth and sixth is OK. This game appears to be very loose, so your Seven-low just might be best. Also, Fours are live, and you've seen a ton of cards at this point. I hope you didn't have to call more than one bet on the river.