Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 02:11 AM

Default Book Review: The Future of Freedom by Fareed Zarkaria

One of the best books I think I've read in my life is The Future of Freedom - Illiberal Democracy at Home and Abroad. The book is authored by Fareed Zarkaria who works for Newsweeks international division and has made some recent appearences on the Daily Show where he has interviewed rather well.

The overarching theme of the book is that democracy is about more then just voting. What is perhaps more important about American democracy is not what the people are allowed to do, but what limits are put on thier power through the form on constitutional rights and protections. Hence the phrase liberal constitutional democracy.

What is refreshing is that the author never relies on rhetoric or loose logic to make his claims. Nearly all his conclusions are based on an extensive examination of history and events. It is what sets the book apart from the political hackery normally seen on the bookshelf.

The first half of the book discusses international democratization projects. Namely, he tries to understand why some democracies have succeeded while others have failed. Though many factors are explored, there is one clear conclusion to be drawn: law and order, seperation of powers, and constitutional protections for minorities should proceed elections. Nearly all of the successful democratic countries have followed this model while those that have failed pursued quick elections and mob rule.

There is also an entire chapter devoted to the ME and Islam which goes over the problems and possibilities for democratic reform in the region.

The second half of the book focuses on US domestic politics. Namely, the author starts by asking why faith in the US government has fallen dramatically over the last 50 years? Why do special interest dominate washington? Why do so many Americans have so little faith in authority in the public and private spheres?

Instead of focusing on specific policy or idealogy Zarkaria looks at how the democratic process has changed over the last 50 years for insight into these questions. He examines the introduction of primary elections, the opening of committee meetings, the death of "party bosses", campaign finance laws unintended effects, and the increasing use of direct democracy through referdums. He raises the question that perhaps it isn't the people that are bad but rather the system is broken.

Of course politics exists within a society. Zarkaria analyses the economic, social, and cultural changes that have accompanied this political change. This was probably one of the most interesting parts of the book in my opinion, so I don't want to give anything away.

This is my second time reading the thing straight through. If I could recommend one book to anyone this would be it.

Here is a link to the book on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s&n=507846
Old 08-08-2005, 03:23 AM

Default Re: Book Review: The Future of Freedom by Fareed Zarkaria

A while back Zakaria wrote an article on this issue. I really don't like him overall but I think he does at least address the issues in a more interesting way than a lot of people.

I wrote a critique of his argument which I will post if I can find it.

NT