Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Big draw on flop becomes bigger draw on turn

I've had a lot of small PPs and suited connecting cards so I've been limping into a lot of pots. I figured the stacks were deep enough to call the flop because of the BD draw. My question is, bet turn?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

Button (t1860)
SB (t1280)
BB (t1305)
UTG (t1520)
UTG+1 (t1470)
Hero (t3130)
MP2 (t1470)
CO (t1465)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t30, UTG+1 calls t30, Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t30, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t180) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t90</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls t90, Button folds, SB calls t90, BB folds.

Turn: (t450) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, Hero ????
Old 08-04-2005, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Big draw on flop becomes bigger draw on turn

I wouldnt call an open ender a "big draw". That being said, i woudlnt waste alot of chips to see if you hit, and you have less outs because any heart that completes your straight will ruin you. Your flush draw might not be good either, but thats highly unlikley. I would check the turn if i were you, too many people are involved.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:00 PM

I like making it t400 on the turn and calling the check-raise. Your draws are obvious enough not to check here, IMHO.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:01 PM

Because of the stack sizes, I think I would bet about 500 and try to win it there. And call if c/r'ed all-in.

If you had an average stack, I would be more inclined to take the free card. I dunno, is that sound?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like making it t400 on the turn and calling the check-raise. Your draws are obvious enough not to check here, IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is a BD flush draw obvious?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:33 PM

Id say that both his draws are very well concealed.. backdoor flush and the minnow U+D str8 draw.

Maybe you meant something else?
Old 08-04-2005, 11:40 PM

I would have to bet half the pot, giving you proper odds for any call. I cant see checking it to the river, because if you do make your hand it would be hard to induce a value bet call...that is unless your beat...
Old 08-05-2005, 12:52 AM

I don't understand the idea that your draws aren't well concealed... they look pretty well hidden to me.

With a big stack like this, I lean toward betting the turn. If I was shorter, I'd check it through.

If I miss the draw on the river, I might bet if I'm HU - it depends on the my read on who calls. Would UTG play a flush draw this way, or a pair of 9s?
Old 08-05-2005, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If I miss the draw on the river, I might bet if I'm HU - it depends on the my read on who calls. Would UTG play a flush draw this way, or a pair of 9s?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that this is a turbo, so we are less than 7 hands in (I don't know the exact number off the top of my head).

That's interesting though; a lot of people are saying "bet with your big stack, check if you have a normal stack". I was under the impression that you should take the free card with concealed draws because you'll still probably get paid off if they hit, and you lose less when you get c/red on the turn or something.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:34 AM

I was going to post something along those lines, actually. But I think that line is for when you could have the best hand already, and don't want to get knocked off it, and can improve to the nuts, kind of thing. That's not the case here, so it's not so important, IMO.