Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 02:48 AM

Default PP 30/60: 88 vs TA1

10 handed - Very solid 19/10 UTG raises.
I 3-bet on the button with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
The rest fold UTG calls.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Check call
Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Check bet and UTG CR's. I mean it's possible he has 1010/JJ or 55 but I just don't think he would risk the turn getting checked through if he has a pair. I think this is a perfect spot from his perspective if he has a pair for a lead turn bet because he's insulated from a raise by the 3 flush/pair on board. Of course I would have raised the turn if he had bet but that's beside the point. Small chance he has a mid-pair but I'm pretty sure he has big overcards with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. So I 3 bet and he calls.

River: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] He checks and I bet because he may call with an ace for the split putting me on AK with a heart and if he called the turn with a pair he will call the river. I do fear the check-raise because I have a real tough call I think.

Thoughts?
Old 08-06-2005, 10:48 AM

Default Re: PP 30/60: 88 vs TA1

I fold preflop. But I play weak.

I don't understand your thinking on the turn. If I were in his position, I would play AA, KK, QQ, etc that way since you have shown so much aggression the whole hand. I don't think he was worried about risking that the turn get checked through. I think it is very clear from his perspective that you were going to bet the turn. I think 3 betting here is ok if you intend on checking behind on the river for a free showdown, but you decided not to do that. I honestly don't like the way you played this hand at all.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:57 AM

I like everything. My first instinct was that it was a bad river bet once you succeded in having your turn three-bet only called and checked to you on the river.

But having thought some more I am unsure. It seems you make a solid read, and his call of your turn reraise and his check on the river further indicates that your read might be correct.

I would be very surprised if get checkraised again here.

lars
Old 08-06-2005, 11:09 AM

I've been wondering about these situations in fullring. Say the same 19/10 raises UTG, a loose passive calls in MP, you have 55 in the CO, do you call?

UTG raises again, you have 66 on the button, fold?

What about 77-99 in MP when UTG 19/10 raises?
Old 08-06-2005, 11:22 AM

Dump that [censored] preflop and save your money. His range is typically about 1/3 pocket pairs, 90% of them higher than yours, 1/3 unsuited big cards (both overcards to your pair), and 1/3 suited big cards (also both overcards to your pair).

In the first case you are usually way behind. In the second and third cases you are a small (5%) to miniscule (1%) favorite.

The second and third cases don't make up for the first case. So just fold.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I were in his position, I would play AA, KK, QQ, etc that way since you have shown so much aggression the whole hand. I don't think he was worried about risking that the turn get checked through. I think it is very clear from his perspective that you were going to bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've only shown decent strength on one street: preflop

I think a lot of buttons would check behind on the turn with AK/AQ. I would certainly against certain opponents. Some may even do it rightly or wrongly holding a heart.

I don't think my opponent has a solid read on me LA or TA --
I wouldn't want the turn getting checked through if I held a pair and I was UTG...would you? I dunno - maybe you are putting more stock in the hand of the average preflop 3 bettor in the 30 than I am.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been wondering about these situations in fullring. Say the same 19/10 raises UTG, a loose passive calls in MP, you have 55 in the CO, do you call?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little less aggressive with the small pairs than most of the good posters advocate. I would fold the 55.

[ QUOTE ]
UTG raises again, you have 66 on the button, fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm also a little less aggressive on the button with marginal hands against EP raisers (I think) than most of the good posters suggest. I don't value position quite as much in this case -- yeah I've got the button but I have to
1. get a scary flop (for my opponent)and
2. hope my opponent has overcards and
3. hope he doesn't hit his overcards on the turn or river

I would fold 66.

[ QUOTE ]
What about 77-99 in MP when UTG 19/10 raises?

[/ QUOTE ]
3-bet 99 usually.
With 88 it's about 40% raise/40%call/20% fold
77 usually a fold.

I lean more towards raising in general if my image is good.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
10 handed - Very solid 19/10 UTG raises.
I 3-bet on the button with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
The rest fold UTG calls.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Check call
Turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Check bet and UTG CR's. I mean it's possible he has 1010/JJ or 55 but I just don't think he would risk the turn getting checked through if he has a pair. I think this is a perfect spot from his perspective if he has a pair for a lead turn bet because he's insulated from a raise by the 3 flush/pair on board. Of course I would have raised the turn if he had bet but that's beside the point. Small chance he has a mid-pair but I'm pretty sure he has big overcards with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] . So I 3 bet and he calls.

River: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] He checks and I bet because he may call with an ace for the split putting me on AK with a heart and if he called the turn with a pair he will call the river. I do fear the check-raise because I have a real tough call I think.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG called my river bet with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and mhig.