Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 09:35 AM

Default Tip for 1/2 NL? (Warned!! Tipping: Don\'t read if you don\'t want)

Did a search, couldn't find.

Simple question: How much is usually expected in the NL games (mainly 1/2)? I imagine it depends on the pot (or profit). Do people have a way of calculating the tip?
Old 08-24-2005, 09:59 AM

Default Re: Tip for 1/2 NL? (Warned!! Tipping: Don\'t read if you don\'t want)

$1 is a standard tip. In 1/2 NL, some people tip $2-5 or more on big pots. Some people don't tip on tiny pots. $1 is often the tip in real big games. However, in a lot of mid limit games NL/PL/limit, $2-$10 tip are common on big pots, particularly from wealthy high roller types.

I saw this show on "Breaking Vegas" about a family that was beating roulette in Spain by discovering anomolies in the wheels. The patriarch behind the plan had them all not tip, even though tipping was standard. Naturally, this antagonized the staff and created more problems for them.

I think it is best for professional and semiprofessional player to tip more or less what is in line with the table. You don't want to antagonize the dealers or the fish. It is better to be generous rather than trying to save a few bucks that way
Old 08-24-2005, 10:27 AM

If you see the flop and win, tip a buck.

If the pot is over $100, I tip $2, but that is strictly optional.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:02 AM

I tip $1 on any won pot that saw a flop. That's pretty much independent of game levels, too. I don't see it as being any more difficult to deal 10 hands and a flop at 5/5 NL than at 1/2 NL. As for tipping more on a big pot, it doesn't seem that the dealer does any more work for a big pot than a small one so why tip more? The dealers don't fade my losses when they deal me a bad beat, why should I reward them for a good one?

So, yeah, I'm a cheapskate
Old 08-24-2005, 11:10 AM

i tipped $25 on a $450+ pot i won at the $1/2 at the mirage...

i'm generous when winning
Old 08-24-2005, 11:31 AM

Yeah, you are a cheapskate, but that isnt the point...

There are reasons that I've seen a dealer should get more than $1 on big nl pots...same with reasons they shouldn't...

Why they should? At the MGM, red chips are uneven for whatever reason... Players have put stacks in short a nickel here and there after verbally calling bets in the hundreds. I've caught this through quick rundowns, and the player who has won the pot has usually recognized this and up'd their toke. Those who think dealers aren't doing anything on bigger pots are simply wrong... Could include anything from putting a kabosh on other players analyzing the hand when they've already folded to getting a rundown of all the remaining chips in the other player's stack...
Old 08-24-2005, 11:43 AM

I guess I should add that most of my live play has been at Foxwoods, where the players are more likely than the dealers to notice any of the (admittedly legitimate) issues you bring up with respect to large pots. I've corrected a dealer's miscount of a stack or mishandling of a side pot more times than I'd like to remember.

Given the tip-pooling policy there, the high time charge for 1/2 NL, and the abysmally low quality of many of the dealers (and yes I know there are some good ones; if I could, I would tip them more), I don't plan on changing my tip size any time soon,
Old 08-24-2005, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i'm an idiot when winning

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 08-24-2005, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i'm an idiot when winning

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is fair to say that he is idiotic. I personally wouldn't tip that much, but if he wants to, who cares?
Old 08-24-2005, 11:56 AM

Thanks for hijacking my thread guys with your tipping philosphies & opinions on other's philosphies [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Anyways thx for the responses I know many hates these posts. I thought $1 would be fine, maybe $2 or more the occasional big pot. I just wasn't sure if people actually tipped a percentage, like $5 in the $500 pot for example.