Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Isolated by a 2+2er: Hand #1

I decided to have an adventure, so I sat to the right of a 2+2er who I respect. He doesn't know who I am. For these posts I'll call him "Bro."

I've been raising a little light, but this is like my 15th hand of the session so he might not really know that yet.

Party Poker (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero raises, Bro 3-bets, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Bro bets, Hero raises...

Results of this hand are in the Hand #2 post due to relevance so if you want to post without that info, don't read Hand #2 yet [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Isolated by a 2+2er: Hand #1

see reply to your other post.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I decided to have an adventure, so I sat to the right of a 2+2er who I respect. He doesn't know who I am. For these posts I'll call him "Bro."

I've been raising a little light, but this is like my 15th hand of the session so he might not really know that yet.

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero raises, Bro 3-bets, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Results of this hand are in the Hand #2 post due to relevance so if you want to post without that info, don't read Hand #2 yet [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty awful preflop raise. Fold this hand first in from middle position, unless you are semistealing. At 2-4, the word "semisteal" should probably not yet be a part of your poker vocabulary.

Like many of the replies in your other post say, if I see you raising first in with a hand like this, I'm going to isolate you left and right.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty awful preflop raise. Fold this hand first in from middle position, unless you are semistealing. At 2-4, the word "semisteal" should probably not yet be a part of your poker vocabulary.

Like many of the replies in your other post say, if I see you raising first in with a hand like this, I'm going to isolate you left and right.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not 2/4.

i'm not dismayed at having been isolated, i actually think it was good for me. my whole point of these posts is to discuss what to do afterwards.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's not 2/4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, okay, what limit, anyway?

I still don't like the preflop raise with this hand.

The way you played it, the flop C/R is fine, but what do you plan to do on a blank turn? Your pair of 7s is vulnerable against a 3-bettor, even if he did make a preflop isolation raise.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it's not 2/4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, okay, what limit, anyway?

I still don't like the preflop raise with this hand.

The way you played it, the flop C/R is fine, but what do you plan to do on a blank turn? Your pair of 7s is vulnerable against a 3-bettor, even if he did make a preflop isolation raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

5/10

i planned to lead a blank turn and maybe check-call the river, dunno though.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:40 AM

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't raised this multiple times in this situation before. Actually, I did it several times today. MP2 is a *bit* early but when you've got tight players acting after you and especially when you've got tight players left to act and players who play badly in the blinds it's far from terrible.

The flop checkraise is goot. Bet the turn, call a raise, and play some pok-ah on the river. Bet a flush card, checkraise a 7.

Rob