Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Picking off a bluff

400nl. Im a little frisky after paying off someones set and stacking him, on another table I raise preflop to 16 with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] a tricky winning player calls, as does the sb.

Flop comes 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] sb bets out 8, big underbet. I call, not really sure where im gonna go with this. Tricky player makes it 24. Now he almost never gets outta line, but he does pull some moves. I`m thinking to myself that he`d need both of the 5`s left or quads to be ahead here.

108 in pot. Turn brings a Q. I check and quickly call his 40 bet. River is a T. I bet 100 ino 190 pot. Good read or suicide...
Old 08-03-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Picking off a bluff

What are you trying to represent? Don't do stuff like this. It's suicide.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:54 PM

If you think you are ahead on the flop I'd raise the tricky winning player there and find out for sure. Are you really saying he's not calling a raise with an 8 or a 5 unless they are paired?

oh....and the reason to reraise the flop is because he might fold a pocket pair that has you beat.....You should only be doing this if you have some resaon to believe that is the case
Old 08-03-2005, 05:19 PM

Raise the flop big the first time if you want to run a bluff. Would you ever flat call SB's tiny bet with TT+?

You're behind tricky player's pair of some sort, but it probably can't take big heat unless he was being tricky with KK or AA preflop. This pot can be taken, but not the way you played it.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Results

[ QUOTE ]
This pot can be taken, but not the way you played it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that I played it horribly, but I was right that he was bluffing. I bet 100 on river, he mutters "musta hit your full" and folds. He probably had [censored]. But lets assume he had 66. How should I have played it to take this down from the turn onwards.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Results

When you raise SB's flop bet to 50, tricky player folds, SB folds, you win, hand over.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you raise SB's flop bet to 50, tricky player folds, SB folds, you win, hand over.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Raise the flop or get the heck out.

Why do you think he needs both other 5s or quads to be ahead of you? Any pocket pair higher than 5's is ahead.
Old 08-03-2005, 07:02 PM

Why do you think he needs both other 5s or quads to be ahead of you? Any pocket pair higher than 5's is ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know he would be ahead, but my thinking during the hand is he will fold everything but trip eights, or quads. I guess I should have just ended it on the flop, but i tried to be cute and riksed alot to gain a little.