Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2003, 01:31 PM

Default Championship Series

I am a book-ahalic and have read about 80% of the recommended books on holdem. I am also an average player (I win about three out of every five sessions) and have been playing for a few years.

Below is a list of the books I plan to purchase in the next month:

Tournament Poker
Championship No Limit and Pot Limit Holdem
Championship Holdem
Poker Tournament Tips from the ProsReal Poker II
Improve Your Poker
Pot Limit & No Limit Poker

I hardly hear reviews about these books. Has anyone read any of these and would you recommend them? Are any of them just a waste of money?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Championship Series

I am a fellow book fiend - I have read three of those:

Improve Your Poker - An excellent book that will do just that, geared towards the experienced player. Highly recommended.

Pot Limit and No Limit Poker - Most people seem to love this book for big bet poker. I can't say that I do. It is good, but I guess I just don't get as much out of it as others. I found the book was useful in pointing in some concepts to think about, but I guess the whole challenge of big bet poker is that it is a "people" game, and not something you can lay out most situations you will encounter in a book. I just don't feel I got a ton out of this book as I do out of many other poker books. I do have the feeling that one day I'm going to go back to this book (say a few years from now) and a light is going to descend upon me and I will get a lot more out of it - so perhaps I just wasn't ready for this book when I read it.

Tournament Poker - I find this book useful, especially the chapters on each individual tournament game. Whenever I am going to play a tourney in a game I haven't played in a while, I have a few key passages in the appropriate chapters highlighted to remind me of concepts to keep in mind as I play. I assume you already have Sklansky's book on tournaments, and with the hardcore concepts in that book in mind you can filter the more useful stuff in this book (this book is more a book of thoughts strung together as opposed to Sklasnky’s hardcore concepts).
Old 03-12-2003, 04:32 PM

To the best of my knowledge, Mason Malmuth has reviewed most of the books on your list. His reviews are the most respected book reviews in the world of poker. Since you have read 80% of the worthwhile poker books, I'm shocked & amazed that you have not been following Mason's ever so worthwhile reviews.

I have every book on your list. I'll make my opinion real short...........

Get Ciaffone, get Cooke, but get your hands on everything 2+2 asap!

The McEvoy books can wait, believe me (although I do like his Omaha book, and think the no-limit book is under rated - worts and all).

Best of Luck

Howard
Old 03-12-2003, 04:36 PM

Yes, I already read Sklansky's book a few times (Tournament Poker for Advanced Players) and really enjoyed it. I am always looking for new ideas and concepts.

Thanks for the excellent reviews!
Old 03-12-2003, 11:56 PM

The McEvoy/Cloutier books for education purposes are nearly useless. "people always get broke with AK" but the stories TJ tells are interesting. So if you get it, don't expect to learn too much but the read isn't so bad.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:04 PM

I haven't read Championship Hold'em but it consistently gets awful reviews. Championship Pot Limit and No Limit Hold'em, I don't much like but seems to be fairly respected. It's badly edited and written, is all I'll say - I won't comment on the advice. The Ciaffone books are both great.