Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 12:32 AM

Default AA hand

Missed limp-reraise, flopped top set. Villain is 35/23.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter

Button ($394)
SB ($371.62)
BB ($400)
Hero ($935.50)
UTG+1 ($1195)
UTG+2 ($80)
MP1 ($516.40)
MP2 ($343.40)
MP3 ($595.10)
CO ($591)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
Hero calls $4, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($16) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>, CO folds, SB calls $12, BB folds.

Turn: ($40) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $50</font>, Hero calls $25.

River: ($140) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero calls $869.50 (All-In)

Does that look enough like a missed flush bluff to get me a call? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've been playing a lot of things fast on the flop and turn, and a few hands ago, I got caught bluffing the river with a missed gutshot into a rock that hit trips on the river (he just called).
Old 08-03-2005, 12:37 AM

Default Re: AA hand

what was your reasoning for just calling the raise on the turn?
Old 08-03-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what was your reasoning for just calling the raise on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

he has Ax or T8 or something. he definitely isn't drawing. he showed some aggression with the check-minraise, so it showed that he thought he had me beat. if i reraised, i wouldn't be able to get his stack in without overbetting and he'd probably fold anyway. i was hoping he'd lead for a decent amount on the river so that he would have a PSB or less left in his stack.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:45 AM

It looks like the river hit you perfectly woulda been nicer if it made a flush and he held it . .but anyway. I like the over bet, but probably not THAT big. If you bet something weak like you are a weak player hoping for a quick steal, he is very likely to raise you like he did on turn. I think he calls the 869 only 1 out of 10 times. I think he'd raise a 40 dollar bet about half the time. Tough call, who knows, sometimes its just better to push HARD when you got the stuff. what were ur results?
Old 08-03-2005, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like the river hit you perfectly woulda been nicer if it made a flush and he held it . .but anyway. I like the over bet, but probably not THAT big. If you bet something weak like you are a weak player hoping for a quick steal, he is very likely to raise you like he did on turn. I think he calls the 869 only 1 out of 10 times. I think he'd raise a 40 dollar bet about half the time. Tough call, who knows, sometimes its just better to push HARD when you got the stuff. what were ur results?

[/ QUOTE ]

he only had about $300 to call. my push was for dramatic effect.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:50 AM

Gotcha. Well good push. Did he call?
Old 08-03-2005, 12:59 AM

SB's line doesn't make sense to me. It almost looks as though the board pairing screwed over his 2 pair (A5?). If he filled up and is going for the big c/r, then you're going to get his money anyways.

you mentioned that he might have Ax here, and i don't think that he'll talk himself into calling your push. however, based on your description of how the table views you, he'd probably call a pot bet.

as for your question of whether or not this looks like a missed flush draw bluff:

i try to make a play like this often, and it rarely works. however, i think that it can be good for your image later in the session b/c if you try this play again your opponents might talk themselves into calling.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:34 AM

when u got picked off did u bet this dramatically?? if not and u still want to go for an overbet why not just stick like 200 out there and make it look like u r pushing it but not willing to stack him if he decides to try and pick u off. i think the board pairing counterfeited his hand and u arent getting a dime out of him so either way its cool. then again, yesterday i did almost the exact same thing pushing 300BBs into a 25bb pot on the river when a flush hit and i was already full and it worked for the first time in like 20 times trying this trick.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:39 AM

he called with A4o and MHIVG
Old 08-03-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
when u got picked off did u bet this dramatically?? if not and u still want to go for an overbet why not just stick like 200 out there and make it look like u r pushing it but not willing to stack him if he decides to try and pick u off. i think the board pairing counterfeited his hand and u arent getting a dime out of him so either way its cool. then again, yesterday i did almost the exact same thing pushing 300BBs into a 25bb pot on the river when a flush hit and i was already full and it worked for the first time in like 20 times trying this trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, that was a $50 bet into a $60 pot. i was OOP in that hand, so a little different. that was also a much better player than this guy.