Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 09:57 PM

Default advertising

Your advertisements will lose most of their value if the play seems reasonable to loose opponents.
Therefore, reducing your starting-hand requirements a little to advertise is often a poor idea. Make most advertisements sparing and noteworthy.

It's simply a bad idea to try to make loose opponents think you're not tight by playing hands that appear a little worse than average. That seldom gets noticed and won't make an impression even if it does. Loose players don't see your slightly weaker hands as substandard. They see them as stronger than what they play, and they won't be impressed. They'll just yawn. If you're going to advertise, advertise!

this was taken from mike caro on poker1 and i think it is a very important however rarely used and often unknown concept
Old 08-02-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Re: advertising

Who do you know that advertises by limping K8o UTG?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:17 PM

not many people not me atleast
Old 08-03-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

this was taken from mike caro on poker1 and i think it is a very important however rarely used and often unknown concept

[/ QUOTE ]

Advertising assumes that your opponents pay any attention whatsoever to what you are doing. And that if they do notice what you do, that they will remember it for more than a nanosecond. They generally don't do either.

Advertising in an online game is pointless and will only cost you money. The same is true for most low limit live games. Caro specializes in live games. If you play online, it is probably best to not read him, because a lot of his stuff will get you in trouble if you don't understand the situations he is discussing.