Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 06:03 PM

Default 2 more hands i\'m not sure if I played right

I think one of my biggest leaks (probably my biggest) is overplaying my overcards when they whiff, but I can never tell what the line is. This first hand is an example.

Reads-

UTG+2 and MP1 are extremely passive and pretty loose (40+ vpip over 50 for both)
and i have an insignificant amount of hands on CO

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

River: (12 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 12 BB

Hand 2:

Button is an unknown as I just sat down and this is my 2nd hand.

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in BB

Fold around to button who open raises. I flat call (3 bet in order here, or is that read dependent?) suspecting it was a steal raise, but not wanting to take chances at a new table quite yet.

flop is 9 4 4 rainbow

I checkraise the button and get 3 bet.

I feel like i'm against an overpair, but call down as the turn and river come down 7 and then ten (making a backdoor flush)
Old 08-02-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: 2 more hands i\'m not sure if I played right

I hate the turn checkraise in hand 2. Either bet or check/call. he's never folding a pair.

I meant hand 1
Old 08-02-2005, 06:19 PM

you mean the flop checkraise?
Old 08-02-2005, 06:21 PM

A rule of thumb that I use is to be less inclined to bet overs if:
1. There are more than two opponents in the pot.
2. The flop is coordinated.
3. More than two cards in the "zone" (about 9+).

In this first hand, all three says no... Checkraise flop, maybe... If there's a chance it will isolate you with CO (if he would bet). The turn c/r is spewing IMO. Very few opponents will fold after putting money in, so you're going to be stuck with CO to the river, which means the bluff will cost you at least 3 big bets...

Hand 2 is fine IMO.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:34 PM

I suck at playing overcards.

If your going to raise the turn like you did I think you have to bet the river since none of the draws are completed by the river card. The problem with doing this is your passive MP1 will only be calling you with hands that beat your Ace high though. You probably wouldn't want to do this line against passive players.

I'm giving you about five outs total. I think you should call the turn getting an immediate 7-1 with another probable call by MP1 to follow.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:37 PM

Bet turn on hand 1. Check/raise is too fancy. He's betting at least a pair because now he thinks he's best. He's not folding. Once you checked, you should have called. Check/call isn't too bad here, either.

Fold turn on hand 2. When he 3-bets you after raising pf, he's not afraid of a 9 or 4. There are no draws, either. You should usually 3-bet pf here, as well.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:40 PM

Fold the turn hand #1. AK is not magical. It needs to improve. I usually dumb it on the turn if it doesn't hit anything

Hand #2
Either fold or call the flop. Depends on your reads on the button. If you're sure he is stilling you might wanna call. Fold otherwhise
Old 08-02-2005, 06:41 PM

You can't fold the turn because you have two overs which are 60-70% to be good (since you can't be reverse dominated in this case) and you have a gutshot.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:53 PM

Fold turn on hand 2. When he 3-bets you after raising pf, he's not afraid of a 9 or 4. There are no draws, either. You should usually 3-bet pf here, as well.

If he's not afraid of a 4, that must mean he has the only 99 left. I think this is putting him on a too narrow range of hands. TT-AA is a possibility, but so is K9, Q9, J9, T9, a severely overplayed AK, AQ, and perhaps even 88,77. With TPTK, getting 6:1, 5 outs and a possibility of having the best hand is a call here for me.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Button is an unknown as I just sat down and this is my 2nd hand.

A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in BB

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooops, just noticed... Don't post UTG...