Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Flopping a Bad UnderFull

Me: 5-5-x-x

Board: A-5-A

What are supposed to do here with 2 opponents? I re-raised as much as I could, but realized that no one with an Ace was gonna be leaving. I ended up losing to a higher a boat.

Is this a dead-end hand? What is the best play?
Old 08-08-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Flopping a Bad UnderFull

limit? PL?

I wouldn't play this hand very strongly, if at all. Aces have big draws and the board shows 2 to a low. I think there are much better spots to start pushing. 3-handed you can play (assuming LO8), but I wouldn't be thrilled about it. Might be wise to wait for a high turn to start raising.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:39 PM

It was limit.

The low draw was dead by the turn, and I barely had one to begin with. I feel like It was a check/call situation now that I see it.

Where can you find PL O/8 online? I've only seen this game spread in limit form.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:06 PM

It's a decent traffic game at PartyPoker, $25 to $2000.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:05 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I ahve limited experience in this game, but think about the types of hands that are pumping here. probably 23xx, Axxx, and really nothing else. so you can be pretty sure you're against a low, and an A. 23 has lots of low outs (and if it was multiway I'm sure there were plenty of other low draws). also a hand with a low draw or other crappy draw might have a pair higher than 5s, which gives him 2 accidental outs to beat your 5s full. you are in a much worse spot than with KK on an AAK board.

so given that there are lots of outs against you with ahnds that probably won't fold, I'd make my first priority to knock out those hands with weak outs + accidental outs to beat you (maybe crappy low draws that might win if a 23 or 34 draw gets counterfeited, or pairs), but after that I think you should wait for the turn or maybe even the river for your equity to go up. if the turn is a 9 and there is no additional action you can be pretty sure you have the best hand since no one is likely to ahve 99 or A9.

as I said, take this with ag rain of salt since this is all instinct since I lack any real O8 experience