Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Beyond HoldEm

Hi everyone.

I have spent the past year learning HoldEm and have worked at it very hard. I have cashed in several large online tournaments, have a winning record, qualified for the WSOP, and feel reasonably competent in HoldEm Limit and No-Limit games.

My next task is to become competent in other forms of Poker. About 98% of my play is done online and I prefer tournaments to ring games. What order of games would you experts recommend next? Omaha because of the similarity to HoldEm? 7Stud? In time I want to be competent at all major forms of the game. I'm just not sure what order would be most practical for a course of study.

Any Advise is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

DukeLeto
Old 08-01-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Beyond HoldEm

I'm not sure Omaha is more similar to Hold'em than 7 card stud. And I'm not sure if learning the most similar game is the best idea.

If you're really going to learn all the games, I think it makes sense to start with simpler ones. A five card game, lowball or high draw. If those are too uncommon, especially on-line, then I'd go with 7-card stud high.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:42 PM

i completely agree lowball games are fairly easy to learn and while there is definately a lot of skill involved limit lowball involves more luck than most games but 27 involves more most skill than most games because its usually nolimit
but lowball games arent often found online so 7 stud is probably the game for you
Old 08-01-2005, 01:10 PM

First make sure the game you decide to learn has enough players/action at the limits/buy-ins you want to play.

Pot limit Omaha, Omaha hi-lo and seven stud are fun to learn and have an adequate player base to make it worth your time.