Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Dealer Mistake.....what should i have done???

I was playing at the Taj last week in a 1/2 NL game. Out of the big blind (there are two limpers) I flop a set of queens (I am holding queen/nine). Checks around after the flop (no scare cards....no flush or straight draws) I check again after the turn (the turn wasn't scary either). An ace hits on the flop and i throw a 15 dollar bet out. The next player folds, but the last player to act is still thinking. At this point the dealer turns over all the cards on the board and mixes them with the unused cards. The last player to act yells at her saying "Hey, I wanted to raise" (It is worthy of note, that I was obviously going to call, perhaps raise any bet) I say nothing, giving the dealer the opportunity to straighten things out. She thinks about what she did for a few seconds and announces a split pot. The other play complains saying he wants the pot and flips over Ace -Ten. I then say - "its my pot"- i have the third queen. The table (not the dealer) all agree i should take the pot. (All seven dollars plus my 15 bet). Which is fair enough (ALthough, i would have liked the other players 15 dollar bet since he was so willing to take my 15).....The money obviously doesn't matter to me. But what should i have done differently to rectify that mistake. It obviously cost me a lot of money if the player was going to throw in a reraise. Any thoughts?
Old 07-29-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Re: Dealer Mistake.....what should i have done???

My only thought is that you checked trip Queens on the flop when you had a horrible kicker. Then you checked trip Queens on the turn when you had a horrible kicker. Then you overbet on the river. Good thing that guy was not playing AQ as horrible as you played Q9.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:33 AM

The dealer is wrong. They can't make a decision to split the pot in that case...the floor must be called. I would have insisted the floor be called...others would vouch for what was on board and you would have been awarded the pot. The dealer screwup doesn't negate the board or action when it's clear what transpired.

Jeff
Old 07-29-2005, 10:35 AM

Wow, not the type of 'intelligent' response i expected. Well what on earth would make you think he had ace queen (or king queen or jack queen for that matter) He is acting in late position and the first two of those are definitely good for a raise preflop and with a small field, the jack queen would have been good for a raise. So what am i worried about? (Queen ten???) I will take my chances of him having the case queen and that kicker. A raise on the turn of a board of Q Q 5 3, would have been a waste. I was willing to take a risk on another card and i hit it. If a king or an ace hits (which it did) I would be happy for the action. And I love the bet out on the ace hitting. If he has the ace he will surely call (and most of the time offer a reraise) If he doesn't have the ace, at least you get a bet in there where he might just call with a week hand. Don't you agree?
Old 07-29-2005, 10:40 AM

Yeah, not calling the floor to decide on a dealer error is a newbie mistake that I made once too.

I think you played it fine, btw. Waiting for someone to catch up or bluff you can be the only way to get paid when you make a monster.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:49 AM

I don't really agree, I don't slowplay trips, I might slowplay a set though. I would definitely bet the flop, at least a min bet. What do you do if the board pairs agian?

The bet out on the ace is a good play, but I would bet the first streets.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:58 AM

I guess everyone plays trips differently (with 7 dollars in the pot, however, I am afraid to throw out a bet and take in just a small pot BUT i guess it would be better than losing a huge pot if someone catches up and overtakes. As far as the board pairing, I would be pretty happy (not as happy as an ace or a king hitting though). The board pairing, guarantees me at least a split (lets discount quads here) and I would play it the same way, bet out on the river. Once again, you eliminate the awful check-down and you will recieve a call (perhaps raise) from a weaker boat
Old 07-29-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess everyone plays trips differently (with 7 dollars in the pot, however, I am afraid to throw out a bet and take in just a small pot BUT i guess it would be better than losing a huge pot if someone catches up and overtakes. As far as the board pairing, I would be pretty happy (not as happy as an ace or a king hitting though). The board pairing, guarantees me at least a split (lets discount quads here) and I would play it the same way, bet out on the river. Once again, you eliminate the awful check-down and you will recieve a call (perhaps raise) from a weaker boat

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your play. Discussion makes us better right? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My initial thought was that you held the nuts and you need to win more than $7. If the turn and the river both come blanks you will most likely win $7. If you min bet the flop and the turn and the river still comes a blank you will win more. Obviously the ace hitting on the river is a great card for you.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:15 AM

Neotope, I definitely agree. And i guess i should have called over a floorperson, rather than trust the dealer to do whats right. But hey now i know and i wont make the mistake again
Old 07-29-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At this point the dealer turns over all the cards on the board and mixes them with the unused cards. The last player to act yells at her saying "Hey, I wanted to raise"

[/ QUOTE ]

Had the floor been called, would the guy have been held to raising?