Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Skipping limits

I've played 4 tables of NL100 6-max for about a month, and 4 tables of NL50 6-max for about 4 months before that. I was a winner in both limits. Last night I dabbled in 1 table of NL400 6-max for about an hour. I wasn't terribly impressed with the play (small sample size) nor scared by the bet size very much. In fact, there was the occassional maniac at the tables.

Under advice from my teacher/friend, I played very tight. However, 1 table can get a little slow especially when one is playing this way. I am properly if not overbankrolled for this game. I'm still in college, if that makes a difference.

Has anybody had any (successful) experiences with skipping limits? Should I just move up 1 level?
Old 07-30-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Skipping limits

I've played from 25NL to 600NL and the difference in skill between them is negligable...seriously. Go for it.

edit: as long as you are sufficiently bankrolled, which based on your post i assume you are.
Old 07-30-2005, 06:07 PM

You may want to cross post this in psychology because I feel like it may have more bearing there.

Dr Schoonmaker talks a lot about the maximum amount of money you can lose before it starts to affect you psychologically. What if you begin a big downswing at these new limits ? It probably won't happen but it very well can. Why are you considering skipping limits ?
Old 07-30-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You may want to cross post this in psychology because I feel like it may have more bearing there.

Dr Schoonmaker talks a lot about the maximum amount of money you can lose before it starts to affect you psychologically. What if you begin a big downswing at these new limits ? It probably won't happen but it very well can. Why are you considering skipping limits ?

[/ QUOTE ]

alright, I'll Xpost this

I'm just hoping that my tightness will cut down big on variance. Hopefully I'll come to a point where I don't have to play extremely tight.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:22 PM

Reef, skipping limits usually is not about ability, but about variance - so the real question is whether your bankroll can support a jump.

On the other hand, I've made some sizable jumps (for an hour or two also), and I'm usually not that impressed by the play either - until I get busted in the chops on a hand I thought was mine.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Reef, skipping limits usually is not about ability, but about variance - so the real question is whether your bankroll can support a jump.

On the other hand, I've made some sizable jumps (for an hour or two also), and I'm usually not that impressed by the play either - until I get busted in the chops on a hand I thought was mine.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

BR is not an issue.

So.. did you decide to stay at the limit after the big jump? How'd it turn out?
Old 07-31-2005, 02:43 AM

I went from 4 tables of 50 NL to 4 of 200NL and was happy with my decision. So far I have not noticed that much of a difference in skill between levels. It just seems like a slow steady climb. Maybe I just havnt hit the spike yet though.

Edit....I also agree with the post about variance. At $50 my absolute worst day was losing $150 and I was able to just shrug is off, at $400 you will have to be prepared to be able to lose $1000 in a session (hopefully not often) but it will happen sometime.....
Old 07-31-2005, 04:35 AM

I jumped from NL 25 to NL 100 when Party switched to a 100 BB structure. I immediately went on a 30 buy-in hot streak, which felt great, and caused me to take NL more seriously, as it became my most profitable game.

It is common to believe people are playing badly whenever you disagree with their plays. Be careful that you have more concrete reasons for believing a play to be bad when you move up. (When I first tried $5-$10 limit, I raised UTG and 7 saw the flop. That was concrete enough.)

I don't recommend skipping levels cold-turkey. If you want to take a shot at a much higher level, I would recommend doing so at the softest time, i.e., Friday night or Saturday.