Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 12:21 AM

Default mid-high hand from ITPM

This is somewhere within "Inside the Poker Mind."

You are in a very-loose, non-aggressive game where "people will call two bets for any hand that they will call one."

You hold J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG.

You raise...

The book reasons that you can win a huge pot by playing this hand for a raise and that calling is clearly incorrect. I say fold and move on to the next freaking hand. No need to get involved with JTs.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Re: mid-high hand from ITPM

JTs is so versatile, that if you get 3 or 4 cold callers it is immensely profitable.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You are in a very-loose, non-aggressive game where "people will call two bets for any hand that they will call one."

You hold J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG.

You raise...

The book reasons that you can win a huge pot by playing this hand for a raise and that calling is clearly incorrect. I say fold and move on to the next freaking hand. No need to get involved with JTs.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are folding this in that game you are 100% certifiably insane. not because you aren't good at poker...nay...its because you hate money.

Barron
Old 08-03-2005, 12:42 AM

thank you. that is all.

p.s. i dont play in those games...
Old 08-04-2005, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You raise...

[/ QUOTE ]

In the game you describe, there is just about 0% chance I am folding JTs from any position unless I am facing multiple bets. When you're going to get tons of callers and lots of free/cheap cards, JTs is a great hand.

SpaceAce
Old 08-04-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thank you. that is all.

p.s. i dont play in those games...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok so you don't play in those games that the book describes. So? Whats your point? In the game that the book describes it is clearly correct to raise JTs.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:28 AM

I limp rather than raise probably. But either is fine and both are miles ahead of folding.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:48 AM

this hand is interesting. see feeney used to play a fair amount at the place i play at a lot now. and the game is still very loose and non aggressive.

you raise w/ JTs here because you want to play almost any pot you are going to play for a raise. it's just such a juicy opportunity for a very good player. you will make good decisions over and over, while they will make errors almost constantly. it's really quite simple.