Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 08:42 AM

Default 3/6 AQo Turn Check-Raise

Loose table. Button is the weakest of them, loose and pretty passive. He might be the wrong guy to try this against but people tend to bet all sorts of stuff when checked to.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, Button calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises...</font>

On the flop I wanted to improve my winning chances by betting, I might have the best hand. After all called I wanted to fold the turn but since noone seemed to like their hand and button might bet a wide range here, I tried to pull something off. I think this only has to work a small fraction of the time but I dont know if I like it or not.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Re: 3/6 AQo Turn Check-Raise

I say a big fat "why the hell not?"

I don't see folding being right on this board getting over 8-1. You're at least going to call and try to improve I think. So why not invest one more bet and try to take this big pot down there and then? Button might well give you a free showdown in this passive game.

Guy.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:39 AM

What's your river plan?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:42 AM

I'm with Guy on this one. If we plan to call, then I think a raise is better in this situation. The river might get awkward, but if it's HU I'm probably check-calling unless I improve, in which case I would bet.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:49 AM

This reminds me of an old Clarkmeister AK hand. I think the button, without a hand, will almost always check behind on the river.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:52 AM

at 3/6 this line works for me like...never. you are getting called by anything and often do not have the best hand.

here, i usually check/call or check/fold.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:55 AM

See, I was originally thinking the same thing. But it sure doesn't look like anyone has an 8 or T, unless the button hit a T, and I really think hero can fold out a 5 here. So I like it a little more now. The only people calling that turn bet are those with a T or two hearts, and hearts should check the river if they miss.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The only people calling that turn bet are those with a T or two hearts, and hearts should check the river if they miss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots of people with a T will check the river after you check-raise the turn, too, so this line ends up costing the same as calling down, maybe protects your hand vs the people in between on the occasions when you're ahead, and very very occasionally wins you the pot.

I like.

SippinSoma: I recall that Clarkmeister thread. It was great. Do you know where to find it?

Guy.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:13 PM

yes but the amount of players who will cold-call 2 bets with any pair in this situation is what brought me to party 3/6 in the first place.

I like this heads up, but IMO you are losing unless an A or a Q comes on the river.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

SippinSoma: I recall that Clarkmeister thread. It was great. Do you know where to find it?

[/ QUOTE ]

2-4 Hand