Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 10:12 PM

Default Louisiana B&M tourney report

Big tourney in New Iberia, Louisiana this Sunday, $500+50. They started running one table satellites now thru Saturday night for $50+10. I decided to give a satellite a shot tonight, and then just pay for the main event Sunday if I didn't break through.

The line-up was the usual suspects, 4 players who had NEVER played NLHE before, 4 slightly (very slightly) above average players, another 2+2er and moi. You start with 16,000 in chips (an odd amount to be sure) with level one blinds at 100/200, increasing every 20 minutes, and every 15 minutes after level 5.

I was in seat 10 and got the button right away. Whee! I folded every hand til my BB came around. The pace was slooooooow, so slow that when it was my BB, we started level 2.

(Comments appreciated on any hands please)

Blinds are 200/500 and I'm dealt 2 black 5's in the BB. 5 limpers to me and I check. Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I check, UTG bets 500, all other limpers call, I raise to 3,000, everyone calls. GULP! Turn is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I push, everyone folds.

I play tight for awhile, with no real chance to even steal. We're at level 4, 8 players left as 2 of the brand new, never played before players are gone. Blinds are 1,000/2,000 and I get A K offsuit UTG. Before I even peek though, I see that a brand new player is about to raise, so I call, he raises, the rest fold, and I come over the top having him well covered. He goes into the tank, a first for him, and finally folds saying, "You play tight, good hand."

Level 5, blinds are 1,500/3,000 and I steal with A4 sooted from the button.

Level 6, blinds are 2,000/4,000 and its folded to me in the SB. BB is the above mentioned brand new player, and he's short-stacked. I raise him all-in with A9 sooted, he calls with 7 9 offsuit, and busts out in 5th place. 4 of us left, moi, slightly above average player is 4th in chips, I'm 3rd, brand new player is 2nd, and other 2+2er is chip leader.

And the cards go dead...

Level 8, 3 of us left, 3,000/6,000 and I'm short-stacked with about 26,000. I'm BB and get 9 10 offsuit. Other 2+2er, still the chip leader is on the button and calls, SB folds and I knock. Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I go into the tank and watch 2+2er for about 30 seconds. He gives up nothing, looking like a statue. I push, he insta-calls and I bust out 3rd when he turns over K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and the board doesn't bring any help.

To my fellow Louisiana players, these guys play BAD. I stuck around for awhile to watch the 2+2er devour the rookie, and watched some other tables, witnessing some horrific play.

I can't wait til Sunday. Thanks for listening.
zulu
Old 07-28-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Louisiana B&M tourney report

Hey Zulu (and anybody else nearby that might be interested),

We are doing the same thing in Lake Charles Aug 24-28. Same consultant (promoter) is organizing the tournament for us. Same setup of satellites and main event on Sunday. If you might be interested, here are some links to some information.

Lake Charles, La. Tournament Poster

Lake Charles, La. Tournament Website

If anybody is interested and wants more information, you can email me at mcneese722@cox.net
Old 07-28-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I play tight for awhile, with no real chance to even steal. We're at level 4, 8 players left as 2 of the brand new, never played before players are gone. Blinds are 1,000/2,000 and I get A K offsuit UTG. Before I even peek though, I see that a brand new player is about to raise, so I call, he raises, the rest fold, and I come over the top having him well covered. He goes into the tank, a first for him, and finally folds saying, "You play tight, good hand."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a crazy hand. Most "new" players I've played with would be incapable of folding. They'd say something like "you got me" and call with JJ or AJ or whatever it was. I like this move, especially because you get to see how much he raises and how much he likes his hand.

[ QUOTE ]

Level 6, blinds are 2,000/4,000 and its folded to me in the SB. BB is the above mentioned brand new player, and he's short-stacked. I raise him all-in with A9 sooted, he calls with 7 9 offsuit

[/ QUOTE ]

nh. put them all-in with an A and you'll be amazed what a shortstack will call with. 56o, QT, etc.

[ QUOTE ]

Level 8, 3 of us left, 3,000/6,000 and I'm short-stacked with about 26,000. I'm BB and get 9 10 offsuit. Other 2+2er, still the chip leader is on the button and calls, SB folds and I knock. Flop is 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I go into the tank and watch 2+2er for about 30 seconds. He gives up nothing, looking like a statue. I push, he insta-calls and I bust out 3rd when he turns over K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and the board doesn't bring any help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always seem to bust out in hands like this - I'd almost rather wait for a hand w/ showdown value and make a move preflop, than put all my chips in with bottom pair on a drawy, broadway-studded board.

An aside: You consider this 2+2er good? I don't know how often I'd open-limp with K6o in a tourney, especially with blinds that big...unless his stack was HUGE, but I think I'd still raise then. Id be suspicious of an open limp here, and I wouldn't like the K or J on the board - he knows were shortstacked and would likely call the allin with as little as A9 or TJ.

Good luck on sunday ZK. You can do it! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Surf
Old 07-28-2005, 12:31 PM

I played in a satellite over there on Wed night. I won a spot in the $500.. it was a luckfest in my opinion, with the structure they were using.

The play was S-L-O-W... I was definitely not going to play another satellite if I was knocked out. It was excruciating. I saw a flop about 3 times in the first 3 rounds. After that, we were 4-5 handed, and 1 guy had most of the chips. I managed to double up a couple times to get heads up with him, and I managed to beat him, cracking a pair of Aces of his along the way, with 89o.

It was a very organized event, but they have some improvements that need to be made to make it a more enjoyable experience.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:22 PM

Were they using volunteer dealers for the satellites and how did they do? The problem with our tournament is getting enough people to deal for the turnout we hope to get. But from what I hear from a good source (who is a dealer at Harrah's in LC), Harrah's is going to supply some dealers for us and actually pay them to deal in our tournament. Won't be enough but it will help. I plan on dealing in ours Wed., Thurs., and Friday. And then play Sat. And, hopefully, Sunday. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] If I don't play Sunday, I'll deal some more.

I plan on trying to run over to New Iberia tomorrow to observe how things are organized and play one satellite.

But being mainly a limit player, I'm pretty much a newbie at NL and tournaments and am looking to it as more a learning experience. I'm reading HOH1 now and will read HOH2 and am playing more tournaments online.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Were they using volunteer dealers for the satellites and how did they do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know where they got the dealers from, to tell you the truth. It's hard for me to say how good/bad the dealers were, because they had about 20 dealers, and I only had 1 dealer, who was very slow. The only tables that I watched appeared to have better dealers, but it's hard to say. The event itself was well organized (but I did not like the structure).

Good luck in New Iberia and Lake Charles.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An aside: You consider this 2+2er good? I don't know how often I'd open-limp with K6o in a tourney, especially with blinds that big...unless his stack was HUGE, but I think I'd still raise then. Id be suspicious of an open limp here, and I wouldn't like the K or J on the board - he knows were shortstacked and would likely call the allin with as little as A9 or TJ.

Good luck on sunday ZK. You can do it! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Surf

[/ QUOTE ]

At that moment, he had about 90K of the 160K in play, so yea, his was a big stack. I haven't talked to him yet about that hand, but I plan on bringing it up when I see him Sunday.

The dealers are rookies and are sloooow like LSU mentioned. Alot of players, including myself, kept a watchful eye and gave a helping hand when necessary. I believe on Sunday, they'll use more experienced dealers are the tables are whittled down.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The dealers are rookies and are sloooow like LSU mentioned. Alot of players, including myself, kept a watchful eye and gave a helping hand when necessary. I believe on Sunday, they'll use more experienced dealers are the tables are whittled down.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many tables do you think they had? It is estimated, we can fit 100 tables in Burton Coliseum if need be. We are advertising also in SE Texas (Beaumont, Houston, etc.) trying to get some Texas people over because even benefit tournaments like this are illegal there.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:34 PM

I agree the dealers were below par. The players had to help them out.. I know I had to.

The players were also below par in my opinion.

Their area was much smaller than our Coliseum in Lake Charles, but they still must have had 75 tables set up.

-g
Old 07-28-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The players were also below par in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

More like quadruple boogie.