Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: You're first to act UTG+1 with Pocket 9's. How do you open?
raise 4x BB 8 11.43%
raise > 4 BB 0 0%
raise 3x BB 4 5.71%
mini-rasie 2x BB 3 4.29%
limp 55 78.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2005, 09:29 AM

Default To limp, or not to limp, that is the... leak?!

Ok so I want to patch up some leaks before I move upto 100 and so on. Assume all stacks are 100BB, normal game conditions, 10 handed, people view you as typical TAG but most probably don't realise / care. For the UTG+1 questions, assume UTG has folded.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:32 AM

Default Re: To limp, or not to limp, that is the... leak?!

Nice post. I will comment some more after seeing more results [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2005, 09:33 AM

The only really borderline one that I see is UTG limp, you have KQs in MP2. Also TJs UTG+1. The rest I think should be pretty clear (unless you are mixing in a random play).
Old 07-27-2005, 09:36 AM

I can't answer any of these without some sense of what the players between me and the button are like [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2005, 09:41 AM

Well from UTG I limp everything aside from KTs, i'm not sure if I should be playing KJs, KQs, JTs from that position. As for MP2 I think theres some borderline raise/limps in there, it will interesting to see what people say.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't answer any of these without some sense of what the players between me and the button are like [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have just sat at the table, now deal with it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2005, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have just sat at the table, now deal with it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are their stack sizes and PT stats invisible, too? WTF am I doing at a table with invisible chips against people I've never seen before? My game selection clearly sucks.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are their stack sizes and PT stats invisible, too? WTF am I doing at a table with invisible chips against people I've never seen before? My game selection clearly sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, c'mon its clear that poster is asking about default play and I am sure you can give one. Dont tell me that you analyze in depth 8people's yet to act stacksizes every time when you got KJs UTG or sth. You just sit down at the table, you did so becasue avg was 50BB or sth like that so you couldnt resist the temptation, you dont know anybody at the table, 7ppl has 100BB 3 has 40BB-70BB just standard. Now whats your play ?
Old 07-27-2005, 10:03 AM

If, with no other information on people, you don't use stack size as a first impression, you're giving up a lot. This doesn't mean big stack => good player or big stack => maniac or short stack => scared fish, but you have to make do with what you've got. I probably wouldn't even sit in a capped game where the 3 stacks directly after me were all in the 3-4x max buyin range. It could be a great table, but I'm going to be in the worst possible position with every time I play a large pot so I can probably find a better game.

With respect to the poll questions, when I don't know anything about anybody, I'm generally extremely tight, but that doesn't help with respect to what the OP is asking. I probably limp all the pairs on the list (because they're very easy to play postflop) and fold all the dominated stuff, suited or not. Is this optimal? I have no idea. I do know, however, that playing dominated hands against unknowns is a real good way to go broke.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:06 AM

Folding KQs preflop without a raise makes baby jesus cry. Like I said, raising it in MP really depends.