Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 11:57 PM

Default 2/4 6-max hand

2/4 Omaha Hi/Lo (6 max, 5 handed) handconverter.com

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, all call.

Flop: (20 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (12 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds, Button calls.

River: (15 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, BB calls.

Working on proper aggression in the juicy shorthanded O/8b games. I wish there were more resources on this.

All opponents are loose (40-70% VP$IP) and Gambler-esque. First-in raises have been legitimate so far. Surprisingly, a lot of showdowns have been heads-up, if they reach showdown at all.

Preflop: Anyone raise first-in? I like my low hand but lacking high chances out-of-position I feel like raising for a 1-3 handed pot is bad.

Flop: I have the nut low draw, cool. I call, because I have very little high potential and a low draw that probably isn't unique. I need callers.

Turn: Interesting card. I have two pair now, with my low draw. I probably beat BB's high hand, though my own high is itself not very good. I mulled a promotion raise, but decided that my hand was too weak. This is the situation I'm mostly curious about. What do you think about a raise? I want to 3/4 or scoop, and if I can get this heads up this is possible. My plan would be to take a free showdown unless I hit the low, when I value bet.

River: Nut low + potential high hand. I still think I beat BB, and this is a scare card for better 2 pair hands and sets. Now I raise.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:00 AM

Default Re: 2/4 6-max hand

I would sometimes raise sometimes call preflop, usually raising

I would call the flop always

I raise the turn always.

i raise the river always.

-g
Old 07-22-2005, 09:52 AM

My answer is going to be very close to Greg's but I prefer to not be the aggressor with other people raising preflop when I have a very good hand.

I would just call pre-flop and check call the bets on the flop.

On the turn I would raise.

River I would raise.

Dave
Old 07-24-2005, 11:58 PM

it's kind of a weird hand because there are so many people in preflop but the action kind of slows down after the flop. but yes i definately agree to raise the turn because any A2345679 is going to give you a monster and if the river isn't a low card it might have knocked out the other A2 (i'm assuming) and let you scoop the whole pot. i would probably limp in first position, but it could be a limp/raise hand in these short handed games. im guessing you got 3/4 of this pot. nh.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is a good spot. Yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sy - I regularly play 3/6 Omaha-8 against an opponent who, regardless of his cards, pushes a bet into the pot on the fourth betting round every single time he has position and the betting is checked around to him. Let’s call this opponent “Tim.”

Does the strategy work for Tim more often than one time in seven?

Yes. Indeed it does.

What does Tim do if check-raised? Usually he simply folds.

But as often than not, or so it seems, and clearly more often than one time in seven, Tim scoops the pot.

Thus the simple strategy of betting from the button whenever everybody checks to you on the fourth betting round clearly has merit.

What does Tim do if called? Usually he simply loses - but sometimes he wins part of the pot and sometimes he scoops.

What does Tim do if an opponent bets? Usually he simply folds - but sometimes he calls and sometimes he raises.

Could you improve upon Tim’s simple strategy? Well... yes, I think you could. How? By being more selective and less predictable.

Tim is vulnerable to being sucked into betting when an opponent checks a winning hand into him on the river. An opponent might not get a big bet out of Tim on the river by betting a winning hand, but is sure to get a big bet out of Tim on the river by checking a winning hand.

And that’s how you cope with the Tims of Omaha-8. You let them bet your hand for you on the river. It’s more complicated than just that, because you have other opponents to consider, and because of the split pot nature of the game. But that’s the essence of the counter-strategy. (An important additional aspect is Tim, himself, is susceptible to a bluff here).

A missed low on the river is generally a good spot to try a bluff. However, in this particular case the flop was paired with fours and MP1 has been betting as though probably holding a four.

Is it possible that MP1 has been semi-bluffing with a wrap-around low draw - and that MP2 has been calling with a similar hand - or maybe calling with nothing at all? (Yes, I suppose it's possible).

However, I think it's a mistake to put both of your opponents on missed low draws here. It's not impossible that they're both on low draws and MP1 has been simply betting the low draw, but there are some other possibilities, mainly that MP1 flopped trip fours but didn't improve - and very possibly that MP2 also flopped trip fours and also didn't improve. If so, will at least one of them see your bet on the river? I don't know. I guess it depends on your opponents.

Do you think your opponents will believe you were drawing to a flush even though the board was already paired? Do you think your opponents will believe you made a full house with the nine on the river? I suppose it's possible. It just doesn't seem very plausible.

When you bet after your opponents have both checked, your bet looks more like one of Tim’s positional bets than a flush or boat. Will your opponents read it that way? I don't know. I guess it depends on your opponents.

Is there one chance in seven that your opponents were both on low draws and will let you get away with a Tim bet with a missed low draw yourself here? I don't know. I guess it depends on your opponents.

If you had been the one betting all along, I think you'd have a better chance of a successful bluff here. The earlier you act, the better chance you have of a successful bluff. If you had made it look as though you weren't purely drawing for low, I think you'd also have a better chance.

But considering the way the betting has gone up to this point, I think you're just wasting a bet by trying a bluff here.

Just my opinion.

Buzz