Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 08:48 PM

Default Some (probably) easy ones for experienced NL players

2/5 at Wynn.

This game isn't good from waht I can tell and I'm moving. In the meantime aggresive asian male opens to $20 in LP, I call on the button with TT, SB calls.

Flop is 863

Checked to me I bet $40, SB checkraises to $100. I have around $450 behind and he has me covered. What's my move?

1/3 at Wynn, better game

EP limps, I limp($180) with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] button limps, blinds call. Button($300) is a good player.

Flop is T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

checked to me I bet $12, button raises to $30, everyone folds and I call.

Turn is a K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, button bets $45, and I do what?

Last one.

Same game, fairly straightforward but decent player is villian.

I($250) raiser to $12 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Good tourney pro who's just messing around calls, button calls, villian in SB calls.

flop is T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

checked to me, I bet $24, goes back to villian and he checkraises all in and he has me covered. Call or fold?

edit to change stack size in hand 2. was thinking $5 chips.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: Some (probably) easy ones for experienced NL players

[ QUOTE ]
2/5 at Wynn.

This game isn't good from waht I can tell and I'm moving. In the meantime aggresive asian male opens to $20 in LP, I call on the button with TT, SB calls.

Flop is 863

Checked to me I bet $40, SB checkraises to $100. I have around $450 behind and he has me covered. What's my move?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on table image. If your table image is that you will to try buy the pot in this situation, then I think you should push all in because SB probably has something like K8 or A8.
If you are not known to buy pots here, then it is a fold.

[ QUOTE ]

1/3 at Wynn, better game

EP limps, I limp($300) with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] button limps, blinds call. Button($500) is a good player.

Flop is T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

checked to me I bet $12, button raises to $30, everyone folds and I call.

Turn is a K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I check, button bets $45, and I do what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Need a better read, but I would expect a good player to raise with QJ or a mid pair preflop, so I think he has a flush draw + pair and is trying to buy the pot. Come over the top for the size of the pot.

[ QUOTE ]

Last one.

Same game, fairly straightforward but decent player is villian.

I($250) raiser to $12 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Good tourney pro who's just messing around calls, button calls, villian in SB calls.

flop is T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

checked to me, I bet $24, goes back to villian and he checkraises all in and he has me covered. Call or fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

Huge overbets (or raises) either mean really strong or really weak. An overbet of this magnitude from a straight foward player would be a set and he is figuring you to call with an overpair. Straight foward players don't seem to think about the size of their bets, their goal is to just get all the money in your stack at once or take the pot right there as a consolation prize.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:22 PM

hand 1 fold. i'm definitely not comfortable risking the rest of my stack here versus his range of hands. you still have two streets to play and it is much easier for you to make very costly mistakes on the turn and river.

hand 2 lead the turn to see where you're at. i see him play the flop like that with (in order of likelihood) T9, AT, 33, flush draw, oesd. as the hand played out on the turn, we can lower the likelihood of a flush draw. since you checked, just call the turn and either throw a 1/2 pot sized blocking bet on a non heart river or check call a bet on the river. not knowing much more about the opponent i opt for the latter to see a showdown.

hand 3 fold. the board texture is nearly drawless. he'll need to be bluffing, semibluffing some wierd oesd, overplaying TPTK enough of the time for it to be worth your money.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:28 PM

Hand 1- Screams set. You say the game is not good, so I assume you mean there aren't many donks in it. The aggressive guy opening doesn't mean much. When the SB calls then checkraises this flop it really screams he hit a set with his small pp. I don't think you're good here. There is a possibility he thinks the opener missed and you're trying to steal it since you've been checked too, but if you're not getting this vibe I'd fold, and even if you are yiu need to pretty sure of yourself.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:36 PM

Hand 1: Easy fold - I'm about 80% sure he has a set here.

Hand 2: I have a feeling your hand is good on the flop. I'd come over the top of his raise on the flop to the tune of about $120. He could easily be drawing here, put him to the test. I think that a good player would have probably raised with any hand that beats you except AT and 33. He'll probably even lay down the AT. If he comes over the top, it's an easy fold.

Hand 3: Easy fold.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:47 PM

hand 1 and 3 i fold without too much thought

hand2 posts some problems. thats why i would have led and gauged a reaction to the K that falls. if he raises when that hits after you make a strong lead, set or QhJh has to be a big worry.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:48 PM

sad thing about hand 2 is im not even crazy with my own advice (regarding turn play). personally, i;d have mucked the flop and avoided that turn
Old 07-28-2005, 09:54 PM

Needs suits of the flop in hand 1. But I probably call hand 1. I lead the turn in hand 2, but the way you played it, I call and lead the river. And I fold hand 3.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:22 PM

Interesting that nobody has said this yet, but in hand 1, there is around 70 in the pot, and you only bet 40. That screams weakness and makes me think that he doesn't necessarily have a set. I would have bet about 60...that might change the texture of this hand. Now we don't know what he has. If you had potted it, and he still came over the top, then i'd think it's a fairly easy fold.

Lead hand 2, and see what he does. If he's semi bluffing a QJ on the flop u are screwed, but if he's not, you are way ahead i'd think.

Hand 3 - you are either way ahead or way behind...that board is fairly drawless and there is no reason for him to play the way he is unless he think you can't fold an overpair. I'd say he has a set and it just isn't worth it here, relatively easy fold.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:52 AM

You're probably more experienced than me, but:

hand 1: way ahead/way behind -> call down and try to see a cheap showdown
hand 2: push after his turn bet
hand 3: fold

JMO